I passed on my 2nd attempt

NicholasRNicholasR Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey I finally passed this thing....... All of my stubbornness finally paid off. I had first taken it about a year ago and I thought that I was ready however about 20 - 25 questions into the test I was asking myself where did they come up with this stuff as it was not what I had been expecting..... Really took the wind out of me as I have never failed something that I had actually tried at. At the time I remember a lot of questions that concentrated on nontechnical aspects of the material that I had not been anticipating. So after setting it aside for a while I picked up the materials and started studying again. I really didn’t purchase any new study materials I just made better use of online resources and spent more time studying things such as the DRP and BCP while ensuring that I had a solid understanding of all other materials covered. I then made use of practice exams both on this site and located at http://www.free-tests.com/comptia.shtml. I also made use of all of the practice exam questions and review questions in both of my texts. When I took the test the 2nd time around I felt like it again concentrated in only a couple of area's however its content was very different from what I recall on my first test. I feel that what makes the Security+ exam so difficult for some and not for others is that it really requires broad based knowledge that is difficult to get from a book but easy to pick up with on the job experience in this field. My recommendations really are to just keep at it if you fail and always make sure to take plenty of practice tests along with studying material from multiple sources.....

Comments

• TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    CONGRATULATIONS, BRILLIANT JOB :D
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Congrats!

I will hopefully have this one done by the end of next month.
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I plan on taking this exam within the next month. Thanks for your feedback.
    Interesting... The Sybex book says that BCP isnt covered in much detail on the exam.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Interesting... The Sybex book says that BCP isnt covered in much detail on the exam.
    It's really not covered in detail. BCP and DRP can be huge topics to cover, and to do it in detail is far beyond the scope of all I've seen per the Security+ objectives and test.
    keatron wrote:
    It's really not covered in detail. BCP and DRP can be huge topics to cover, and to do it in detail is far beyond the scope of all I've seen per the Security+ objectives and test.

I wonder how much time and energy I might want to put into these for the security+ exam study then... I'm thinking that the brief overview in the sybex book should be enough for now. I will see what the syngress book says when I start that one.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • Definately know the concepts behind what a DRP and a BCP are and what they can do for a company. Also know some other terms such as due care, due dilligence, and Business Impact Assessment

Also understand how a BCP and a DRP relate to eachother, how to test your recovery plan, and the imporance of sites.

*A service level aggreement is often used in a DRP.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats icon_thumright.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    keatron wrote:

True.....

But for those of you that want to move on to more advanced security certs.....might want to really learn these....

congrats on the test pass...
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
    Good Job!
    To protect and to serve(r)...