Options

Road to ccent

erikiiyerikiiy Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I started studying for my CCENT about 5 weeks ago. At the beginning, i didnt know ip, subnet, functions of a router, didnt know what a ping was. Basically i am a network idiot.

I joined up here and cisco learning thing (the free one) a few weeks ago. I read the ICND cisco press book cover to cover 3 times , watched a little video. I used GNS3 and packet tracer for lab. Surfed here and cisco to learn from others when i got tired from reading the book.

I read a lot of stories about how tough these test are, the failed and the almost got it experience. This got me very worried.

Today I passed my CCENT, I write this not for congratulations but to encourage others that it's not so tough. It was super tough for me because I knew nothing, I was like a blank sheet of paper when it comes too networking. I think luck had a part to do with it for me in passing.

For those that are studying, keep up the good work. For the mentors here, thank you for taking the time to answering questions.

Comments

• Options
    NansNans Member Posts: 160
    Congrats on your pass buddy...
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • Options
    JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    That is really awesome! Congrats on your pass!! You started studying for it about the time I did but I am dragging behind pretty slow at it. Only 6 chapters into Lammle's book and 5 chapters into the cisco press book and I have all day to study right now. Not sure what I may be doing wrong but I seem to want to totally understand each and every topic in each chapter before moving on to the next the first time reading the book. Maybe not the best thing. Good luck to you in your next exam!!
    Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Congratulations! 5 weeks from start to CCENT without any networking experience is really good and you should be very proud of yourself.

Are you going to finish ICND2 and obtain the CCNA? If so, what does your time table for that look like?
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Congrats on the pass, and thanks for the encouragement. Wish you the best with your future endeavors my friend! :)
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One tip, the ICND2 may look like a lot less material but it's more complicated. As a fellow fast tracker I went from 0 to CCENT in a little over 3 weeks. After finding ICND1 easier than boson I decided to take ICND2 when I was acing the boson, a little over 2 weeks, just to fail. Spend as much time, if not more, time studying ICND2 from multiple sources and prepare to be crunched for time.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    One tip, the ICND2 may look like a lot less material but it's more complicated. As a fellow fast tracker I went from 0 to CCENT in a little over 3 weeks. After finding ICND1 easier than boson I decided to take ICND2 when I was acing the boson, a little over 2 weeks, just to fail. Spend as much time, if not more, time studying ICND2 from multiple sources and prepare to be crunched for time.

What material did you use to study for ICND1? Thanks bro. I'm planning on using Lammle's book + CBT nuggets videos.
  • Options
    Odom then Lammle. It's what I should have done with ICND2 but thought Lammle's ~12 hour read would suffice.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    Odom then Lammle. It's what I should have done with ICND2 but thought Lammle's ~12 hour read would suffice.

What did you use to lab for icnd1? Thanks again :)
  • Options
    erikiiyerikiiy Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for the encouragement and tips on icnd2

I didnt use any lab for ccent. I just do the ones in Odom book. Like I try to understand the objective of that particular lab example and then I play around in packet trace and try to do it without looking at the book. I feel that you can really retain info when you figured out how to do it without following book steps.

I plan to study for icnd2 as if I am studying for icnd 1 & 2. So I will re-read the first book again. I have heard the icnd2 is much tougher and I believe it since there is more troubleshooting. I think you have to really understand to troubleshoot.

As far as time frame, I anticipated 2 months for icnd1 and 3 months for icnd2. I think if if study hard, I think I can give it a shot in two months, though giving it a shot and passing us two different thing.

I am going with the Odom book again. I haven't read another book, so I can't comment on others book. I chose Odom because it seems to be good and I get a couple of free test. The lab program with the Odom is a joke though.
  • Options
    routingsparksroutingsparks Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    erikiiy wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the encouragement and tips on icnd2

I didnt use any lab for ccent. I just do the ones in Odom book. Like I try to understand the objective of that particular lab example and then I play around in packet trace and try to do it without looking at the book. I feel that you can really retain info when you figured out how to do it without following book steps.

I plan to study for icnd2 as if I am studying for icnd 1 & 2. So I will re-read the first book again. I have heard the icnd2 is much tougher and I believe it since there is more troubleshooting. I think you have to really understand to troubleshoot.

As far as time frame, I anticipated 2 months for icnd1 and 3 months for icnd2. I think if if study hard, I think I can give it a shot in two months, though giving it a shot and passing us two different thing.

I am going with the Odom book again. I haven't read another book, so I can't comment on others book. I chose Odom because it seems to be good and I get a couple of free test. The lab program with the Odom is a joke though.

I think that's most of my issue. I keep thinking I'm not ready and keep putting it off. I think it's about time to schedule CCENT and at least get that one over with.
  • Options
    I used Lammle's lab mainly, although I did a bit on my home lab and a bit from Pearson's netsim. For the test, labbing isn't that important but pretty important in practice.
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    5 weeks and you didn't know the basics starting out? Someone has a bright future ahead :)