What are you using for online personal backups?

yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
So far my important data is stored in three different encrypted drives: the main one, a backup one attached to the PC and an external HDD.

However, they are all at the same place, so in the case of let's say a fire, all data will be lost. I've been considering using an encrypted USB key as my keyring with the data as well, but I think the best approach is going to be using any online service, and that's the point of this thread.

What are you using for storing your personal backups online? Encrypted of course. We are talking about 30GB of data.

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I do not trust online backups for my personal stuff. I use a NAS on MY side.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • digitheadsdigitheads Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I really don't trust any external backup, cloud or otherwise - you are dependent on their knowledge of network security, and sometimes that not what it is advertised to be... I use backup exec and external drives. I have 2 sets of 7, one at the house, one offsiite (a good friend holds it for me in his garage, I switch them every week.
  • White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Mozy online backup.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personal non-important stuff Google Drive.

Important stuff my WHSv1 server which than backs up automatically to Crashplan, Crashplan automatically put 448 bit encryption on my data before it leaves my server for the cloud.
  • vinnypolstonvinnypolston Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally use Dropbox. For business I use Drobo.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Synology for important stuff (home linked)
    Drive/Dropbox for non-important
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    encrypted google drive/dropbox. Has saved my a55 a few times already.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    encrypted google drive/dropbox. Has saved my a55 a few times already.
    how are you doing the encryption?
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I only store photos and some files on OneDrive. When it comes to personal files stored outside my home I really should just encrypt a small hard drive and rotate them to keep at work but I know I would eventually forget to do it to make it a reliable off site backup solution.
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • jeefjeef Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Onedrive for nonpersonal stuff
    NAS at home for everything I actually care about
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Onedrive for nonpersonal stuff
    NAS at home for everything I actually care about

and in the hypothetical case of your home burning down, what will you do? Lose all the data?
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, what is the likelihood that your house will burn down? It's all about evaluating risk. And if your house did burn down, your data may be the least of your problems...
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    yzT wrote: »
    and in the hypothetical case of your home burning down, what will you do? Lose all the data?

I use google drive for non important personal document. I use the Synology NAS for things that i have to retain for more than 2+ years. The NAS is located at my parents house and i access it remotely. You can do the same thing, buy a NAS, set it up at a different location.
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Gmail and Dropbox. I prefer to have things in multiple places for redundancy. Back when I made music, I would send the session files to multiple email addresses of mine. Anything that's private I usually just encrypt my self with truecrypt or ecryptfs. I don't really have much data that needs to be backed up these days though outside of work stuff which goes to Google drive.
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    broli720 wrote: »
    Well, what is the likelihood that your house will burn down? It's all about evaluating risk. And if your house did burn down, your data may be the least of your problems...

It happens. Not to me but it happens.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What are people using to backup their NAS? I remember back in the day I had an HP Windows Home Server, I thought RAID was fault tolerant which it is but then the operating system died on me......

I really should just sign back up for Crashplan, I am my own worse enemy when it comes to my personal data.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    how are you doing the encryption?

I'm using boxcryptor classic to do the encryption. I wrote a program to make 1 folder that would upload to both of them so I could have dual copies, buts not clean enough to release to the public like when I make a change in 1 it won't do the same in the other.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    What are people using to backup their NAS? I remember back in the day I had an HP Windows Home Server, I thought RAID was fault tolerant which it is but then the operating system died on me......

I really should just sign back up for Crashplan, I am my own worse enemy when it comes to my personal data.

Task scheduler to run a robocopy once a week.
  • Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Time Machine for system image backups which I keep on a 2TB external USB drive. I straight copy and paste my data to another 1TB external USB drive in case my Mac is stolen or explodes and I can't access Time Machine. This drive is formatted so it will open with Windows. My music is on both drives but also copied over to a third drive that goes with me in the car.

Both main drives are kept at home in a locked, fire-proof safe.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes but I think that would be the least of my worries at that point.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »

Important stuff is stored on a external hd in a safe.

i have 12 GB of pics of my son and about 80 GB of media in crash plan...love crash plan.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Am I the only one encrypting the important stuff and backing up to Amazon Glacier?
    when you say "encrypting the important stuff", what do you mean? File-level encryption? Because AFAIK, and I've tested it with Windows encryption, you can seamlessly open an "encrypted" file in another filesystem, for example in Linux.

Or are you using a container? If so... do online plans let you upload heavy files? A "file" of 30GB+.