Options

Passed CISSP exam today

M22M22 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Folks,

I passed the CISSP exam today, very happy !

The Exam took me 5,5 hours to complete, i doublechecked all my answers and even corrected about 15 of them. In the last 15 years I probably took about 50 exams (Itil, Prince, ISO20000, VMware, Citrix, EC-Counil, and many many Microsoft Exams). The CISSP-exam was the most difficult one for so far.

My preparations:

CBK 4th Edition
Shon Harris 6th and old video-material(i was really suprised to hear that she is no longer with us, her online training was great !)
Keith Baker CBT
I red the CBK 4th in two weeks
Attended a 5-day ISC-course
Studied 6 days prior to the exam (daily 07:00 - 2300). No TV, Movies, Hobbies, friends)

I did not buy any prep-exams, just studied the questions in the books. My opinion is that I can not see the point of doing 5000 practice questions, i think it is a waste of time. But if you think it helps you thats fine ! Put more time in studying than memorizng questions you will probably never see on an actual exam.

I started in jan this year with watching the training-videos, every day 1 hour approx.

I have about 17 years IT-experience in different jobs: Teamleader, advisor projectleader, architect and engineer Implementing and designing networks, firewalls, SANS, Citrix VDI, Netscaler, Oracle, SQL, Pentesting, AD-consolidations ect.
My tips for you: spent more time on "proper" studying rather than doing a 1000-test questions. Prior to the exam study more ( I took a week off) and give it an extra boost.

Without the "Luggage" i have built up in the last 17 years i could no have done the CISSP-track and would no have passed this exam.

Good luck with your exams !

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! What's next?
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great insight. I think some use the test questions as a way to find weaknesses and not necessarily just for memorizing questions.

Congrats. Have stopped and started the CISSP journey many times over the years. Hope to finally complete it this year.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!! I have avoided the practice tests until I feel like I understand all the material, not necessarily memorize it. I will probably use them to help me understand them from different vantage points.
  • Options
    M22 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I passed the CISSP exam today, very happy !

The Exam took me 5,5 hours to complete, i doublechecked all my answers and even corrected about 15 of them. In the last 15 years I probably took about 50 exams (Itil, Prince, ISO20000, VMware, Citrix, EC-Counil, and many many Microsoft Exams). The CISSP-exam was the most difficult one for so far.

My preparations:

CBK 4th Edition
    Shon Harris 6th and old video-material(i was really suprised to hear that she is no longer with us, her online training was great !)
    Keith Baker CBT
    I red the CBK 4th in two weeks
    Attended a 5-day ISC-course
    Studied 6 days prior to the exam (daily 07:00 - 2300). No TV, Movies, Hobbies, friends)

I did not buy any prep-exams, just studied the questions in the books. My opinion is that I can not see the point of doing 5000 practice questions, i think it is a waste of time. But if you think it helps you thats fine ! Put more time in studying than memorizng questions you will probably never see on an actual exam.

I started in jan this year with watching the training-videos, every day 1 hour approx.

I have about 17 years IT-experience in different jobs: Teamleader, advisor projectleader, architect and engineer Implementing and designing networks, firewalls, SANS, Citrix VDI, Netscaler, Oracle, SQL, Pentesting, AD-consolidations ect.
    My tips for you: spent more time on "proper" studying rather than doing a 1000-test questions. Prior to the exam study more ( I took a week off) and give it an extra boost.

Without the "Luggage" i have built up in the last 17 years i could no have done the CISSP-track and would no have passed this exam.

Good luck with your exams !

Thanks! I am not to sure, in still have a training IT-Management and IT-project Management lined up afterwards, i am not sure if there ill be enough time left fo his year for other certs.....
  • Options
    Great insight. I think some use the test questions as a way to find weaknesses and not necessarily just for memorizing questions.

Congrats. Have stopped and started the CISSP journey many times over the years. Hope to finally complete it this year.

That is a good thing ! 5000 or more is over the top to my opinion..
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Hunter85Hunter85 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Yes, reading and understanding is more important than doing practice questions. I only did the questions in Eric Conrad study guide before going for the exam.

Shon Harris passing away last year was a surprise. I hope the publisher can get a team of experts to continue updating and releasing new editions of her AIO book. Her book is a useful reference for many.
  • Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    Sam_aquaSam_aqua Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on grabbing this..