Options

Mastering CCNA Level Material On the Job vs CCNA Studying

ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
Hi all,
So I am taking ICND 2 in two weeks and feel confident that I will pass the exam, but I don't feel like I fully understand the material at the level that I believe a CCNA should and be able to implement it in a production environment. So I guess I just wanted to ask if that's normal. I only have two years of actual IT work experience and currently doing level 2/3 technical support. How much on the job training does someone usually get at their first networking job? Just looking for some honest input and solid discussion.

PS I already realize that I haven't been putting in enough hours labbing so that is where I am putting my focus :)

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi all,
    So I am taking ICND 2 in two weeks and feel confident that I will pass the exam, but I don't feel like I fully understand the material at the level that I believe a CCNA should and be able to implement it in a production environment.
    Well at what level of understanding is acceptable for CCNA level to you? To me a CCNA R&S should be comfortable with the entire blueprint--both theory and labbing. The Cisco blueprint is the baseline to me.
    So I guess I just wanted to ask if that's normal.
    Not normal. I think most people just stick to the objectives and want to pass the exam.
    PS I already realize that I haven't been putting in enough hours labbing so that is where I am putting my focus :)

Check out All Labs - GNS3vault. Some nice free labs there.
  • Options
    Let me put some context behind this. There is a strong possibility that I could be getting promoted to Network Engineer within my company in the next few years (kicking butt at my current job and impressing the right people). What concerns me is the large gap between my current knowledge and skillset to that of the Network Engineers.

So basically what do you guys recommend I do to close that skillset gap, be ready for the next opening, and be able to hit the ground running once I land the position?
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Learn as much theory as possible. So at least you know why you can configure something. Let the other engineers mentor you on how your current company does things. Then as time goes on keep learning and applying that knowledge to get your own style.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Let me put some context behind this. There is a strong possibility that I could be getting promoted to Network Engineer within my company in the next few years (kicking butt at my current job and impressing the right people). What concerns me is the large gap between my current knowledge and skillset to that of the Network Engineers.

So basically what do you guys recommend I do to close that skillset gap, be ready for the next opening, and be able to hit the ground running once I land the position?

Go for the CCNP R&S.
  • Options
    Speaking of mentor I was thinking about asking one of the engineers to be my professional mentor. They've been mentoring me informally when I need help or when I ask them questions, but I think having an actual mentor would be greatly beneficial and I already have someone in mind. Is there a good way to ask? I was planning on being direct and just walking up and asking.

I do plan on starting my CCNP R&S in the next year or so. I'm leaning towards going broad (CCNA:S and maybe Collaboration) before I go deep (CCNP:R&S). And plus I feel CCNP would be better once I have more networking responsibilities.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've never asked someone to be my mentor as I don't see it as a formal title. To me it's someone who pushes you to advance and goes out of their way to make that happen.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Speaking of mentor I was thinking about asking one of the engineers to be my professional mentor. They've been mentoring me informally when I need help or when I ask them questions, but I think having an actual mentor would be greatly beneficial and I already have someone in mind. Is there a good way to ask? I was planning on being direct and just walking up and asking.

I do plan on starting my CCNP R&S in the next year or so. I'm leaning towards going broad (CCNA:S and maybe Collaboration) before I go deep (CCNP:R&S). And plus I feel CCNP would be better once I have more networking responsibilities.

CCNA Security is a good choice especially if you're looking for more hands-on to go with the theory. There is like a 500 page lab manual you can get from CiscoPress. Currently there is no lab manual for Collaboration but there is a pretty decent one for Voice.
  • Options
    Well passed the exam at 947/1000! Quite a bit easier than I expected and I would have done better if I hadn't rushed part of the test thinking I was running out of time. I think I was being too hard on myself and does not help that a lot of the stuff that comes up at work is way above CCNA level.

I'm thinking I'll head right into CCNP from here to get to the level of theory I want to be at
  • Options
    Well passed the exam at 947/1000! Quite a bit easier than I expected and I would have done better if I hadn't rushed part of the test thinking I was running out of time. I think I was being too hard on myself and does not help that a lot of the stuff that comes up at work is way above CCNA level.

I'm thinking I'll head right into CCNP from here to get to the level of theory I want to be at

Congrats man, fantastic score!
  • Options
    Thanks! I still can't believe its over... I mean I went through the Cisco Networking Academy like 8 years ago. And these last two months I spent hours watching videos, reading, and labbing. I was so excited after passing that I think I was annoying the lady at the test center icon_wink.gif