Options

Cissp pass!

jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, I passed my CISSP exam this morning. I want to thank everyone here who contributes. I'm sure I would not have been as prepared if it weren't for the other pass threads and questions posted.

My experience prior to the exam:
I have a BS in Cybersecurity from Utica College and currently hold Security+ certification. I have spent the last 3.5 years as an Information Systems Security Officer for a defense contractor. Prior to that, I spent 4 years in physical security for the same defense contractor (hoping this will get me through the endorsement process).

Study/Prep:
I started studying in February of this year, which is when I scheduled the exam. I wanted to have a definite deadline, which I think helped me focus my studies. I was able to study at work for 1-2 hours every day, then at home for another 1-2 hours after the kids went to bed. The resources I used were as follows:
Eric Conrad CISSP Study Guide- read cover to cover
Eric Conrad 11th Hour- read for my weakest domains
Shon Harris AIO - started with this and made it through just more than 600 pages before I put it down in favor of the Conrad book. It just became too wordy. I used this again after I finished the Conrad book to get more depth in my weak areas. I did the practice exams at the end of the chapters and both exams in the back of the book.
Cybrary.it - I watched these videos daily and took notes until I completed them all, then I watched as a refresher for the past month.
Total Tester - this was my main practice test resource and it came with the AIO book. I thought the questions were comparable to the real exam and made you think them through. I was scoring in the low to mid 80's during the last week of study.
Skillset - I used this a few times for practice exams and found it to be almost useless. A lot of the questions have incorrect answers, but the comments under the questions by other users were sometimes useful.
CISSP Pocket Prep - used only the free version, which wasn't bad. I like the Question of the Day feature.
CISSP Combined Notes - I reviewed these notes probably 4-5 times in the last 2 weeks. They are a great resource and I thank whoever put them together.
Various Youtube videos on the exam itself and the crypto and telecom domains.

Exam:
I went into the exam at 7:45 this morning on 3 hours of sleep. I went to bed at normal time last night and just could not sleep. Different questions and topics were running through my head and my mind would just not settle down. Got through the palm scan and picture taking, went into the test room and saw about 10 other people in there taking exams. I have never used them before, but noise cancelling headphones were made available and I put them to use. They really helped me concentrate by eliminating the sounds of other keyboards, mouse clicks, coughing, sniffling, and people coming and going.

The exam itself was pretty straight forward. Most of the questions were well worded and I could tell what they were asking for. There were a few I had no idea what the heck they wanted, so I assumed they were part of the 25 ungraded and moved on. I flagged questions I didn't immediately know or was unsure about and came back to those later. It took me about 2.5 hours to go through the first pass. I then went back to my flagged questions and changed no more than 10. That took about another hour and I decided to submit. After being asked 4 times if I was sure I wanted to end my review, I was able to click the End Test button. My feelings were about 50/50 on pass/fail. I had one piece of paper at the front desk, so I knew I was golden. I got my keys and wallet out of the locker, went to the car, and finally looked at the "Congratulations" on my printout.

I hope I covered it all, but feel free to ask questions. Thanks again to everyone here who helps make this place great. On to the endorsement process.....

JT

Comments

• Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well done.. congrats. excellent write-up
  • Options
    OM602OM602 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and thanks alot for the write-up. Really helps those that are still studying
    The world chico, and everything in it
  • Options
    @bh!4u@bh!4u Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass and the details about the study/prep really appreciated. Honestly the pass threads have kept me motivated to keep chugging.
  • Options
    rjon17469rjon17469 Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    sesha437sesha437 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats jt2929.
    Could you please let us know what materials/docs you used for new syllabus?
    what about questions in the new areas?

• Options
    Matt2Matt2 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Thanks all. For the new material, I would be familiar with the information provided in the link below. I saw probably 15-20 questions pertaining to new stuff.

New Material: https://cccure.training/m/articles/view/CISSP-CBK-2015-WHAT-WAS-ADDED
  • Options
    CLICKCLICK Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS and well done. Thanks for the great write up.
  • Options
    Sam_aquaSam_aqua Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats JT, well deserved, thanks for providing the details about your preparation. I plan to take the exam in early October, just getting crazy with daily office work, managing family/kids, household chores etc.

I wish I get through ..

Cheers :)

Sam
  • Options
    kukkukukku Member Posts: 130 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Hunter85Hunter85 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats

Could you please tell where did you get CISSP Combined Notes from? I am unable to find them
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    melvinfzmelvinfz Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. Endorsement should not be a problem based on your background. Process can take more than 5 weeks though.
  • Options
    Sam_aqua wrote: »
    Congrats JT, well deserved, thanks for providing the details about your preparation. I plan to take the exam in early October, just getting crazy with daily office work, managing family/kids, household chores etc.

I wish I get through ..

Cheers :)

Sam

Stick with it. I made it through working full time with a family and house to take care of. Losing a little sleep now will pay off in the end.
  • Options
    Combined notes are attached. I did not create them, they were created by a user here I believe. I'll try to find the original post.
  • Options
    melvinfzmelvinfz Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Jt2929 , could you tell me from where i could get the Eric Conrad 11th Hour ? i sent you a private message .
  • Options
    melvinfz wrote: »
    Hi Jt2929 , could you tell me from where i could get the Eric Conrad 11th Hour ? i sent you a private message .

I replied. I got mine on Amazon.
  • Options
    lmoworldlmoworld Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are awesome!
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    rajpoot296rajpoot296 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Reading your post gave me hope.
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, thanks for tips and references of material used.
  • Options
    Endorsement documentation officially received today! Now begins the wait...
  • Options
    Just to update, I received my email today with the official CISSP designation.

Test Pass: Aug 10
    Paperwork Submitted: Aug 11
    Official Notification of Designation: Sept 2

Less than a month, not bad!
  • Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome news. I'm thinking this is next for me. Based on your studies, do you think this is doable in 90 days of study? I'm trying to knock it out by early December.
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP