Any Techies live in a sail boat or RV? San Francisco

GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
Living in San Francisco, my girlfriend and I pay about $2000 / month or $24,000/year to rent a 600 sq. ft. studio.

Being in this situation we are looking at Boon docking or living on a sail boat to save on expenses.

If we live on a sail boat I am thinking of getting solar panels, wind generator & a water maker + generator. I think we will need 600-1400 watts of solar panels.

If we live on a RV I am thinking solar panels and maybe wind generator.

I"m specifically looking at 19-25ft class b/c RV.

Yes I know it may sound crazy to a few of you, but on the other hand throwing out $24,000 / year on rent seems like a waste too.

If anyone has any experience living in a RV or Boat, please drop some knowledge. :)

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    That's so cool. No I haven't done it myself nor do I know anyone who have, but keep us posted
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Isn't Eli the computer guy living in an RV right now on a cross country trip?
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think its a solid idea. Look before you leap, buyer beware etc...but if you truly like the idea then do it. I'd be shocked if there aren't "live on a boat full time while it's docked" communities out there on the internet.

I dated someone who's dad lived on a 54' wooden hull on Lake Huron for 6 years. He was an electrician for GM and banked all of his over time for the whole period then retired early.

forgot to add that the marina you live in is as important as the neighborhood you live in. Some tolerate people working on their boats all the time (loud) some don't. I'd be willing to bet the marina is as important as the boat itself.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Actually really funny you posted this as I was recently joking with my parents that I was going to live in an RV instead of buying a house (New Jersey property taxes are insane!). Plus I'm not quite sure that I want to stay in New Jersey. I will say you'll definitely need to look very closely at the overall costs. I saw the range for monthly space rent at a camp ground was running between $300 to $500 a month. Add in the cost of your rig and it will add up (though in your case you are still saving money and actually owning whatever you are living in). Definitely interested to see how you proceed!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    Your idea may be good, but the fact that you are even considering living in an RV is a sign of how screwed up things are here right now. I'm from San Francisco, my family lives here and has since before the Gold Rush, and I can't afford to live here myself anymore. And what about all the people needed to make this society work? Where do the gas station attendants, the medical assistants, and the barista's who make our $5 latte's live if the techies are living in RVs? Something's gotta give here, it just isn't making sense anymore...
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Living in San Francisco, my girlfriend and I pay about $2000 / month or $24,000/year to rent a 600 sq. ft. studio.

Being in this situation we are looking at Boon docking or living on a sail boat to save on expenses.
    If we live on a sail boat I am thinking of getting solar panels, wind generator & a water maker + generator. I think we will need 600-1400 watts of solar panels.

If we live on a RV I am thinking solar panels and maybe wind generator.
    I"m specifically looking at 19-25ft class b/c RV.

Yes I know it may sound crazy to a few of you, but on the other hand throwing out $24,000 / year on rent seems like a waste too.
    If anyone has any experience living in a RV or Boat, please drop some knowledge. :)
    So... how did this pan out?
    :]
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    How did I miss this thread? And yes, I too would love to know if the OP ever went through with this.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I remember this thread from my lurking days! I wondered what was going to happen but then forgot all about it to check up.
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cool idea. Just curious, how much of a cost savings will you get on a boat compare to the average rent cost.

BTW, I saw where the house boats were docked when I was in SF last year.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A friend had been living in the Bay Area since 1997 or so. He was finally priced out and moved to more affordable Sacramento and loves it. He said that others are doing that.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Look up Nomadic Fanatic & AdventureVanMan on YT...I think they work from their RV.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • masdrobedamasdrobeda Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Myself and my fiancee are currently looking to buy a RV (we debating between trailer or motorhome) and move to California from Boston. The cool thing about the RV is that as we are not sure where we would like to spend our lives at, it will give us the mobility of living in different locations until we find the right one for us.

Now the question for us is: Buy a motorhome or truck + trailer.

But I do think its a good idea if you are in my situation where you dont want to just waste your money in a rent
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a 2000 Coachman Class C 30ft RV...I've had it for approx. 6yrs...it's been fun having one, but it's just like a house, you always have maintenance on it. So, be prepared $$$ wise, they make RV's CHEAP and the parts to replace them are just as CHEAP. Be prepared to do lots of roof work (caulking/sealing), don't go cheap on tires either always buy heavy duty (like on 18wheelers).
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There is always the tiny house revolution going on. You could become a part of that.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    masdrobeda wrote: »
    Myself and my fiancee are currently looking to buy a RV (we debating between trailer or motorhome) and move to California from Boston. The cool thing about the RV is that as we are not sure where we would like to spend our lives at, it will give us the mobility of living in different locations until we find the right one for us.

Now the question for us is: Buy a motorhome or truck + trailer.

But I do think its a good idea if you are in my situation where you dont want to just waste your money in a rent

Truck + trailer is cheaper and more flexible. If you get a motorhome you'll want a small car to two behind it.

I agree with kriscamaro, a tiny home + truck would be my choice!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • masdrobedamasdrobeda Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Truck + trailer is cheaper and more flexible. If you get a motorhome you'll want a small car to two behind it.

I agree with kriscamaro, a tiny home + truck would be my choice!

I also think that Truck + trailer is better since a MH is more intended for travel rather than living in it. I seen a 35ft 5th wheel yesterday for 29K 2015 looks like a high end apartment no joke.

My problem is that I still have to buy the truck and it needs to be a F250 for example or F350.
    I
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□