Options

laptop lab setup help

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a laptop to run my Server 2012 lab from as I don't have the space or money for a real lab.
For those of you using a laptop for your lab studies, what does your setup look like?

Any suggestions on specific laptops as well as CPU, RAM, and disk specs would be much appreciated.

Also, feel free to suggest anything else that could help me get up and running with as little pain as possible.
If you have learned lessons along the way, please share so I don't make the same mistakes. :)

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    probably need a i7 and at-least 32 GB's of RAM. if it's a laptop without 32GB's just add memory to it, memory is cheap!

Make sure you have a good sized hard drive too...

For a Server 2012 Lab use VMware Workstation to make a nested lab. Tons of posts in the Virtualization section on nested lab, just do a since forum search on 'nested labs'. If that doesn't help and still costs too much you can always use VMware Player and download a trial copy of ESXi 5.5 or 6.0 and install a ESXi host on the player and plug away with that nested lab.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you have limited/no resources to build a good homelab then I would suggest Technet Virtual Labs rather than struggling with an undersized lab environment.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/

Cheers!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    probably need a i7 and at-least 32 GB's of RAM. if it's a laptop without 32GB's just add memory to it, memory is cheap!

Make sure you have a good sized hard drive too...

For a Server 2012 Lab use VMware Workstation to make a nested lab. Tons of posts in the Virtualization section on nested lab, just do a since forum search on 'nested labs'. If that doesn't help and still costs too much you can always use VMware Player and download a trial copy of ESXi 5.5 or 6.0 and install a ESXi host on the player and plug away with that nested lab.
    IMO you don't need an i7 but if you can afford it then go ahead, my PC is an i5 with 16GB RAM and I've managed to lab most things running the bare minimum no. of VM's which is usually 3-4.

The main thing is disk IO so if you get a laptop it's worth switching out the HDD for an SSD and if you can afford it buy an external SSD drive (or use a caddy) to host some VM's on.
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If your thinking of buying a laptop you have more then enough money to pick up a used server off like ebay. Mine cost me $165.00 shipped and is a Dual socket Xeon quad core with 32Gb of ram.

So the question are you looking more for dual purpose or something dedicated to labs.

My "Lab Laptop" is quad core and 8Gb of ram its more then enough to run 3-5 VMs for specific labs or trouble shooting. You will be hard pressed to find a "Cheap" laptop that can support 32Gb of ram, let alone "cheap" 16Gb sticks for said laptop.
  • Options
    sdmuktharsdmukthar Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am planning to buy a laptop to build a virtual lab at home with VMware Workstation (ESXi hosts).
    Need your advice/help to find laptop with following configuration.
    32 GB RAM
    CPU quad core or octa core i7 above 2.7 Ghz
    SSD 500 GB
    HD 1TB

Please let me know the best laptop for nested lab.
  • Options
    MariusRZRMariusRZR Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You don't have to find a laptop with the exact configuration.
    Get a laptop with a good cooling system and a powerful i7 processor.
    Make sure it has 4 slots of RAM.
    Then buy your own SSD and RAM. If you get an OEM SSD, you get ripped off...big time.
  • Options
    bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    An SSD is a must for any lab PC/Laptop... Don't scrimp on performance! You will run out of disk IOPs before you run out of RAM. As for creating a nested VM lab see this video https://youtu.be/lG3vXlo2q7M I use it to teach classes.

NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm debating on buying/building a lab myself. I was thinking of finding a used Dell R710 with at minimum of 32gb RAM and eventually adding on extra drives and use as a plex server so I can put all my dvd/blu-rays in storage once I'm done labbing and practicing. What are your thoughts on me doing something like that.
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well i have 2 different labs. One at home and one on the road. My laptop is macbook pro with 16gig of ram. I have all my vm's on a external drive using the firewire connection. I like it and runs good.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    A Dell R710 sucks down power... I'd opt for something that would be less loud a R710. Also heat is a big factor. All the problems of a server room in your house :)

• Options
    Do you have another option that is in that range, is as powerful or more than that? Heat is fine, it will be in a storage room in the basement, which tends to be quite cold. And what would the problem be of having a server room in my house? :)
  • Options
    Having a server in the house is great, but the power consumption of a full server is what turns me off. I build something with a decent processor and lots of SATA3 connection for my house. When it's not in use the peripherals power themselves down. It the same a purchasing a van to car pool vs a bus. They both get the same job done, but the later of the two is used for an industrial purpose. Just my thoughts, that is when I'm paying the electric bill. :)

• Options
    bohack wrote: »
    Having a server in the house is great, but the power consumption of a full server is what turns me off. I build something with a decent processor and lots of SATA3 connection for my house. When it's not in use the peripherals power themselves down. It the same a purchasing a van to car pool vs a bus. They both get the same job done, but the later of the two is used for an industrial purpose. Just my thoughts, that is when I'm paying the electric bill. :)

I'm lucky for a few factors, which is that my wife works from home, which means that her company not only pays for our business class internet, but also for our electricity and gas. Noise would be more of a concern than power consumption, but my plans are to put it in my basement storage room. I just need to convince my wife that I NEED it.
  • Options
    HAHA... Good luck!

• Options
    bohack wrote: »
    HAHA... Good luck!

I'm going to need much more than luck as anyone with a wife who doesn't understand and does not appreciate anything tech wise. I need to have a 10 page action plan on why it's needed and a good thing.
  • Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A laptop with an i7 processor, 256GB SSD, and 16GB of RAM is what I use. I run several VirtualBox VMs at a time and have no problems. You could probably get by with an i5 and a little less RAM but if you can afford it go for the i7 and more RAM.
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    MariusRZRMariusRZR Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do NOT buy a laptop with OEM SSD. Pick a model you like, pick a processor model then go for the cheapest version of that model.
    Then buy the extra RAM and SSD yourself. You will save lots of money. And you no longer void the warranty by opening the back and adding crap in it. OEM parts are overpriced as hell.
    I bought a gaming laptop like a year ago. The one with extra 8 GB of RAM and a 256 GB SSD was 300 euros more expensive.
    I got the cheaper one, same model, then bought 8 GB of ram for 35 euros and a 512 GB SSD for 200. You see?:)
  • Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MariusRZR wrote: »
    Do NOT buy a laptop with OEM SSD. Pick a model you like, pick a processor model then go for the cheapest version of that model.
    Then buy the extra RAM and SSD yourself. You will save lots of money. And you no longer void the warranty by opening the back and adding crap in it. OEM parts are overpriced as hell.
    I bought a gaming laptop like a year ago. The one with extra 8 GB of RAM and a 256 GB SSD was 300 euros more expensive.
    I got the cheaper one, same model, then bought 8 GB of ram for 35 euros and a 512 GB SSD for 200. You see?:)

^^^ Yes, I agree with what MariusRZR is saying here.
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    I totally agree... I'm in the same boat! I did run across this interesting find today on my Youtube Channel http://amzn.to/22TBe7M It's a compact server cube with a simple RAID card and enough power to run Hyper-V or Vmware smoothly. I'm actually going to pitch something like it for our classrooms at the school I teach at.

• Options
    maelstrom3530maelstrom3530 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently using a Dell M4600 with 24GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. It does all I need it to do. icon_cool.gif
    2015 Goals: [X] ICND2 [X]70-680 [X]70-685 [X]70-640
    2016 Goals: [X]70-410 [X]70-411
    2017 Goals: [X]70-412
    2018 Goals: [_]70-697 [_]70-698