Options

Split Horizon in Packet Tracer

Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
I was labbing in Packet Tracer trying to build a Hub & Spoke topology running EIGRP over Frame Relay. After a few frustrating hours of not getting any of the LANs to talk I finally realized that Split Horizon was still enabled on my Hub router. Even with the
"R4(config-if)# no ip split-horizon eigrp 1" command it remained enabled. Is this a known thing with PT? I googled for answers but the only thing I found close to what I was looking for was an earlier post here on TE (circa 2011). No one directly answered his question however. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmmm, might need a little more info...have you added the broadcast command at the end of your frame relay map?
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you sure you entered "no ip split-horizon eigrp asn" and not "no ip split-horizon" ? One is for EIGRP and one is for RIP. I just took a quick look on 2811 and 2911s and I don't see EIGRP split horizon support on PT.

PT is fine for CCENT/CCNA Switching but you should just use GNS3/Dynamips for your Routing needs.

EDIT: Looks like it will take the command but not disable it. If you do a ? after no ip split horizon you will see that there is no eigrp commands listed. In short: just use GNS3.
  • Options
    no!all! wrote: »
    Hmmm, might need a little more info...have you added the broadcast command at the end of your frame relay map?

I did try the broadcast command but was told by the router that it was already mapped.
    no!all! wrote: »
    Are you sure you entered "no ip split-horizon eigrp asn" and not "no ip split-horizon" ? One is for EIGRP and one is for RIP. I just took a quick look on 2811 and 2911s and I don't see EIGRP split horizon support on PT.

PT is fine for CCENT/CCNA Switching but you should just use GNS3/Dynamips for your Routing needs.?

EDIT: Looks like it will take the command but not disable it. If you do a ? after no ip split horizon you will see that there is no eigrp commands listed. In short: just use GNS3.

I did try the more specific EIGRP Split Horizon command but to no avail. I agree, GNS3 is better suited to tasks like this however I haven't played enough in GNS3 to really learn the ropes. Where does one get the firmware images for instance?

Thanks for the replies, gang.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I loved PT but it really does have some quirks and limitations. If you google around the images you should be able to find them. The thing I love about GNS3 is being able to hook up my virtual and physical lab together to make larger topologies. GNS3 takes a little getting use to but once you do, there is no going back.
  • Options
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    I loved PT but it really does have some quirks and limitations. If you google around the images you should be able to find them. The thing I love about GNS3 is being able to hook up my virtual and physical lab together to make larger topologies. GNS3 takes a little getting use to but once you do, there is no going back.

Thanks Moose, I'll look around. This topic lead me to a Cisco forum where users were asking about images for GNS3- solely for learning purposes. I guess its implied that Cisco doesn't want you to use their images w/o paying for them but how else does one get the needed software? Clearly PT isn't going to cut it for me much longer.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most people who don't pay download them through other means (IE Torrent them)
  • Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is a heated debate over the legality of using the Cisco IOS in GNS3, whether you pay for it or not. To that note, just google around and you will find IOS images for GNS3.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's a known thing. Someone asked this question years ago, and the problem is that no ip split-horizon doesn't work with the eigrp options. I guess they never fixed it.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%