Options

Did I read it wrong?

cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
Did i read wrong or is the requirements tougher on the security+ than they are on the network+?

Cheers
To protect and to serve(r)...

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    No you didnt read it wrong....

the test is based on the same scoring scale 100-900 however the security+ needs about 210 points higher than the network+ and it has 100 questions instead of 85.

What does this mean? This means it requires a higher passing score with more questions and yet even with more questions you can't get as many wrong.

I'm not kidding myself about this one... I know it's going ot be a hard exam.
  • Options
    herdest exam I have ever taken. And the poor wording doesn't help icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    herdest exam I have ever taken. And the poor wording doesn't help icon_lol.gif

That's encouraging...

It is true though.... I havent started on any of the other books yet, I am almost done with the Sybex book and have done great on all of their practice tests in the book so far.... However, I have not done so hot on the first 2 practice exams on this website! There were actually things in the questions here that I hadnt seen in the book.

I know I still have a lot of work ahead of me for this exam.
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah, im working on studying for this test now. I am only on my first book about the subjects but i am planning on at least reading two books combined with every practice test i can get my hands on. Im not testing until im certain i can pass. So far though the reading has been pretty easy and im looking forward to learning the material and practicing the network monitoring on my home network :)
  • Options
    yeah, im working on studying for this test now. I am only on my first book about the subjects but i am planning on at least reading two books combined with every practice test i can get my hands on. Im not testing until im certain i can pass. So far though the reading has been pretty easy and im looking forward to learning the material and practicing the network monitoring on my home network :)

I agree with you about not taking the test until you are 100% sure you can pass.

I know after almost being done with one book that I will be reading at least 2 more books. After taking a couple tests outside of the book I don't feel that the book is preparing me enough....

I have decided minimum of 3 books, tech notes here and all the practice tests I can get my hands on.
  • Options
    So far I have:

Security+ for dummies 2003 (With sample exam)
    Security+ Syngress (with practice exams)
    Security+ FastPass

The fastpass I have not tried before, but the book was only $5.00 so I thought i would not hurt to try it. The disk that came with it has 2 complete practice exams.

The Syngress has a 100% guarantee that anything on the test is in the book.

Cheers
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cairtaker wrote:
    The Syngress has a 100% guarantee that anything on the test is in the book.

Cheers

Just make sure you have a clear understanding of exactly what that means. More than likely they mean they cover all the objectives.
  • Options
    Looks like that one is going to be a lot of work. Not til next week. Still taking practice exams on the network+. Test is on Friday 3pm.

Still reviewing acronyms and protocols just to be safe...
  • Options
    indubasuindubasu Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey, what a coincidence.. I too have the network+ lined up for this Friday at 3:00 pm and am aiming for the Security+ from next week... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Network will be heavy on troubleshooting, the osi model, and support. Also with the new objectives they seem to have put a considerable amount of 802.11, infared, and bluetooth stuff on there also. Be sure you can distinguish between them (characteristic wise) and know all the 802.11 standards pretty well (a, b, and g for sure). Always know your ports, but I found there to be less questions on ports than the other time I sat this one.

I took this exam this past Saturday. I sometimes teach this class (6 to 8 times per year) and I like to stay on top of what's there and how it's formatted.
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    indubasuindubasu Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the useful pointers....I will surely keep these in mind!