At what point do you consider uprooting and moving for a new job?

bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
I ask because I live in a small-to-moderately sized IT market and I have had zero luck in finding any sort of semi mid-level position. I have been at desktop support for 3 1/2 years and I really want to progress my career (primarily looking for networking positions). Either I am senior engineer with a Top Secret (which I only have a Secret) or I am entry level. Seems to be no inbetween.

How many of you have actually moved just to get a foot in the door? Whether it be entry level or mid level. Sucks because I love the area I live at and my AF Reserve unit is fantastic.
"If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    If you are young and not married..this is a perfect opportunity to move and find a mid-level position. The DC metro area is full of mid-level positions. What you can do, is send some resumes out. If you get a chance to interview, go and visit. See how you like it...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    It is time to move...

whenever there are not enough resources for you survive in your current environment. (that may be housing costs, food costs, job or job location, income level (if you take temp work until you find a full=time career)).

There was a time, in our not to distant past, folk moved around...consider the change of scenery as a nice opportunity!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Move to a place that has good IT Infrastructure, large IT market, and low cost of living. There is several places that come to Mind. Austin/Dallas, Raleigh, Atlanta
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Although you live in a great area, finding HD work is near impossible. Since you have the clearance, why not look at a gov't position? You would have preference, and your certs would help getting you in the front door. I checked USAJobs for internal spots in FL, and there are plenty. However you'd probably have to move, but it wouldn't be too far. BTW, DC metro, VA Beach, and Charleston are all good spots.
  • SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Moving is easy, finding a job will be the tough part. I've been offered to move to another city for a job and they agreed to my salary amount, but than they redacted and try to say we'll have to negotiate once you get here. Not a good idea in my opinion
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks like you have a CISSP and clearance.

Have you given thought to any security jobs?

Type ISSA Florida in google. There are chapters in south, central, and northeast Florida.

https://www.issa.org/?page=AboutISSA

You can attend meetings for free, but you will be asked to be a member after attending a couple of meetings.

During the meetings you can discuss your backup ground with Security pros.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Absolutely. Problem is, all the Infosec jobs here require a Top Secret and the contracts wont pay for them anymore. Sucks the closest chapter is 5 hours away. I would love to attend these conferences. There is a small chance that I can get into a GS role but I am at the mercy of waiting for the jobs to be created, which takes significant time in the government world. Hopefully, the new fiscal year will speed up the process and I will know whether I will snag that foot in the door or pick up and head somewhere else...
  • piedthepiperpiedthepiper Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If the opportunity and job is that good, that it is worth moving regardless then do it.

Esp if you have no kids or a wife, sometimes you just have to esp if the opportunity is that great
  • DWitherDWither Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My wife and in have talked about leaving Vegas . Once I actually break into IT if there is a place that a like and has a good IT base I'd go
  • SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DWither wrote: »
    My wife and in have talked about leaving Vegas . Once I actually break into IT if there is a place that a like and has a good IT base I'd go

I've heard Vegas and Nevada in general has a good IT market, is this not the case?
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    Plantwiz wrote: »

There was a time, in our not to distant past, folk moved around...consider the change of scenery as a nice opportunity!

This 10+

I did it, you will grow a lot in the process. Life's too short to spend it in one country.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    I lived in Orlando and I left from lack of jobs. Now I am in Chicago with so many options.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    When I was single and had no kids I moved from Chicago to Kuwait for a job
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Four months ago I moved from my home country ,Zimbabwe, to Rwanda in East Africa. Felt I had hit the ceiling at my job, new offer was good and has room for growth in addition to Zimbabwe currently facing a number of economic challenges which had knock on effects on my job security.
    Was the move easy (relocating family, finding new school, buying stuff (from spoons to beds) from scratch......) ? NO
    Would I do it again ? YES
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I have a wife and 2 year old. They really dont want to move but I think I will stick it out here, finish my degree, and then if dont have anything by then I will uproot. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.