Options

Adding Cisco cert to the mix?

jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Everyone,

Just a bit of background. Earlier in my career, I was a network admin doing server and desktop installs and support. I then moved into the Project Management arena, managing smaller infrastructure projects and helping to manage very large software projects. I also have my PMP. I now have an opportunity to work on a Network Security/Firewall team doing project support. I think I will have the opportunity to learn a lot more about network infrastructure on the Cisco side. I'm thinking about trying to shift my career back to the technical side. Has anyone done this type of shift before? Also, after getting some more experience on the Cisco side, should the CCNA certification be the first one I try for?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCENT is the first Cisco cert. Then CCNA. In my opinion, if you continue, it will be valuable to have a CCNP before you move to another track, since all of the other tracks rely on the network to carry them in some way. I am working on my CCNP now, I wish I had gotten it years ago.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    TBH CCNP is only useful if you're actually going to be doing Networking IMO, CCNA though, is a great ROI for most fields as it shows good understanding of Networking in general
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Also consider that there are plenty of tracks for CCNA/CCNP/CCIE, from Route/Switch to Cloud or Industrial. You might benefit from one of the other tracks, instead of or in addition to the traditional route/switch.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @nster, in my experience, no matter which track you go down in Cisco, there is overlap from R/S, so it is beneficial to get that higher level knowledge before you take the plunge. Of course, I have no clue what CCNA is like these days, I got mine years ago. For all I know it may be more practical and less theory now. :shrug:
  • Options
    Wow, I didn't even realize there were other lower level certs besides CCNA. That's how long i've been out of the loop LOL. Thanks for the great information, I'm going to take a look at all of the certs and tracks you all have suggested.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Considering your experience as a project manager, you might look into CCNA R/S (for a fuller understanding of networking and Cisco's way of implementing things), CCNA Security (since this is directly related to the team you will be on), then CCDA (Design Associate)(I would think that you could leverage your PM and networking experience very effectively with this one). Others with each of these certs would be able to better speak to their respective benefit to someone in your shoes.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, this is all very helpful info. I was looking at some sample questions from the ICND test and they don't look as bad as I remember years ago. So hopefully I'll be able to grasp the concepts without too much fanfare.