Options

Career path advice

Powerlifting90Powerlifting90 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I have currently been in the IT contracting field for about 4 years now. 2 of the years as tier 2 support (desktop laptop support). And the other 2 as a mix of desktop and active directory management ect.

I recently passed my 70-680 for this job as tier 2 but I am really focused this year on stepping my game up and looking for a system administrator position. Any advice on some self learning I can do? Also which other certs would get me in the door?

Any advice would be great :)

Comments

• Options
    Powerlifting90Powerlifting90 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry, forgot to mention I already have Sec+ and A+ also.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to TE forums.

It sounds like you should have enough experience where you can simply just start to apply for some sysadmin jobs. See what hits you get. Good luck.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have a bachelors? If not, you may want look into self-study schools like wgu. If you pursue wgu I'd focus on 70-685 to get mcsa windows 7 before the start date. With wgu getting certified works toward your degree and it's really inexpensive.

Otherwise you could focus on mcsa 2012 or linux+
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)