Options

Hacknet game

CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anyone playing? I downloaded from steam earlier, only $7.99. Pretty fun so far and fairly realistic. Unfortunately it's only for windows at the moment(a game based around linux commands but only on windows, the irony..) but Linux release should be within the next few weeks.

"Hacknet is an immersive, terminal-based hacking simulator for PC. Dive down a rabbit hoIe as you follow the instructions of a recently deceased hacker, whose death may not have been the accident the media reports. Using old school command prompts and real hacking processes, you’ll solve the mystery with minimal hand-holding and a rich world full of secrets to explore.

Bit, a hacker responsible for creating the most invasive security system on the planet, is dead. When he fails to reconnect to his system for 14 days, his failsafe kicks in, sending instructions in automated emails to a lone user. As that user, it’s up to you to unravel the mystery and ensure that Hacknet-OS doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

Exploring the volatile nature of personal privacy, the prevalence of corporate greed, and the hidden powers of hackers on the internet, Hacknet delivers a true hacking simulation, while offering a support system that allows total beginners get a grasp of the real-world applications and commands found throughout the game."

Comments

• Options
    lmoworldlmoworld Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Saw it had a lot of good reviews. Looks interesting.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Nice!

I enjoyed Uplink so will definitely check it out
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    wow uplink was a fun game... brings back memories...
  • Options
    yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You made me buy it. I just played for about 20 minutes and it look promising!
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'll check it out this weekend if I remember. Someone bump this thread on Friday evening? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    Just purchased it. Uplink was a fun game, I totally forgot about it.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I added it to my wishlist. Are the commands realistic? Or is it like you type apt-get and it downloads the entire FBI database?
  • Options
    chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    I played for maybe 5 minutes but it had you using ls, cd, and rm.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    I added it to my wishlist. Are the commands realistic? Or is it like you type apt-get and it downloads the entire FBI database?

Nah it's fairly realistic for the most part. Some of the commands don't allow for options though, like "ls -la", you can only do "ls". Some are missing though, at one point you had to find a file and I thought oh thats easy, tried "locate", command didn't exist.

For those that liked Uplink, most reviewers said Hacknet is even better. I've never played uplink or heard of it though until now.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I played it for a bit, then tracked down uplink and spent a few hours playing it instead. I'll give it another chance, but it seemed to have less ... variety than uplink did (not that an uplink hack had much variety either really...)
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno