Options

Job Experience vs Better Pay

JHow91JHow91 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Okay so I recently managed to get myself into an Help Desk(ish) spot. I say ish because I do everything from creating user accounts to, like yesterday, trying to write rules and install a new firewall.... I'm a single dad and I make enough money for us to get by but it's tight. IT is really the field I want to be in but I was just offered a job by the DoD managing a tool room used for aerospace maintenance. A lot better pay. A lot better quality of life.

My concern here is that if I leave I won't be able to break back into the IT world, but if I take the other job I'll be able to pay for college and certs much faster. My job now will pay for my A+ but it will take a good while to save and be able to take any other certs.

What would you guys do? More money and focus on getting certs and school out of the way? Or just stick with the job and hope something else comes open?

I work on a small Air Force base in a small town. Jobs tend to only open when people retire so getting offered this job is a pretty big deal.

EDIT: This job will also get me a Secret level security clearance.
2015 Goals: Get my A+ [ ] Enroll in WGU [ ].

Comments

• Options
    v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Since you're a father I would go with the DoD job managing a tool room. Who knows maybe you can jump departments and go into the IT dept. Also it seems like the DoD job is better since you can get certs faster and can always study after work.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I usually recommend gaining experience over pay if you can swing it, but in your situation I'd definitely make the jump. Getting the clearance alone will open up so many more opportunities if you ever decide to move to a place that revolves around DoD positions.

Just lab it up at home as much as possible and get certs, there will be many more opportunities as long as you keep your skills relevant.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Single dad, money is tight...DoD is a no-brainer.

IT isn't going away. There will always be an opportunity to get back in.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Take the DOD job. Better pay and quality of life! Besides, IT will always be around.
  • Options
    JHow91JHow91 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey thanks for all the replies, everyone.

I know it probably seemed like a no-brainer but I figured I'd ask some people with a bit more experience than me. I'm only 24(my daughter turns five next month. Been on our own for almost 5 years now if that tells you something about the situation) so I figure there will be more opportunities down the road. I was just a bit hesitant to leave now that I finally have a job in the career field I want. I've gone from Front Desk of the hotel on base, to an Accountant and now to this. My boss has been awesome and even gave me this IT job with no experience other than building a PC or two. Probably another reason I'm hesitant to leave.

BUT, I just accepted the offer for the DoD job. I have no debt or past offenses so there shouldn't be any problems with my security clearance.
    2015 Goals: Get my A+ [ ] Enroll in WGU [ ].
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and start labbing like crazy! You'll have a great time and be more prepared for an opportunity to transfer over to an IT related role if and when it becomes available!

Meantime lab and test and test and lab man! IT's the spice of life!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get to know the IT people on base and find out which contractor they work for. Check the contractors website to see if they have any IT openings in the future. Having a security clearance will make you valuable but you also need to learn and know your stuff. Congrats and good luck!
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    clouderclouder Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Once you have your current experience AND a clearance on your resume, you'll get back into IT in no time. Don't worry about it.