Options

Career advice- Just passed 202-801, studying for 802. Thank you.

wangxjj123wangxjj123 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone. My name is Kevin. I decided to focus a career in IT. I have a B.S. in Business, but I really have no motivation and see myself doing that in the long run. I just passed 801 today and will study for 802 asap. I don'y have any job experience relating to IT. I am also taking computer classes at my local community college and try to get an associate degree in computer science. Where are some suggestion or advice when I submit my resume for entry jobs? I would like your experience or advice. Oh, I live in San Francisco, CA. Thank you for reading, this site has helped me the most.

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd abandon the AAS idea asap. The business degree should suffice. Instead focus on A+ then mcsa windows 7 while applying for any it job that's mildly interesting. If you insist on going back to school right now pickup an inexpensive bsit from non-profits like wgu (comes with many certs). Otherwise you could try for an mba.

As for a resume emphasize transferable traits like customer service and problem solving. Also show how your actions helped the company. Good luck!
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Hi techfiend, thank you for the reply. I will focus on A+ after that Network+. For the WGU, do I need an IT degree to apply? Thank you.
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Well, Computer Science and certs like A+/N+/MCSA/CCNA lead into different streams of Tech. Computer Science people are good with programming and typically work as software engineers while A+..CCNA folks work with administrative side of IT such as managing servers or being network engineers. Both fields go very deep but eventually you should figure out which area you want to go into.

I second the WGU idea if you do want to get another 4yr tech degree. You don't need a degree to apply, the fact that you already have one should greatly help your application.
  • Options
    Hello, thank you for your information. Could you share a bit about your occupation and certificate experience. Thanks
  • Options
    I didn't notice you were pursuing comp sci. If your goal is software development wgu isn't an option I'd suggest. A computer science bachelor's is what I'd suggest from places like dakota state university or other non-profit schools.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Hello, thank you for the reply. Originally I just wanted to have good foundation of computers and internet foundation. I guess I can take the classes and not focus on the associate degree. I would focus on the A+ certificate. I would eventually become CCT, what certificate path do you suggest. Thanks.
  • Options
    A+ then CCT probably. I'm not that familiar with CCT but it's in the same entry level section as CCENT on cisco's site. If the CCT is too much step back to network+. If you want to be in infrastructure wgu's bs it security is probably well suited for you. You'll study and earn network+ security+ project+ ccent, ccna, ccna security certification all for probably less than an AAS degree at your local tech school. You have to have some self-motivation to succeed in WGU though. There's help but not a lot of it.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I just have one more pathway question because I'm still undecided which IT career path that I want to focus. After doing some research, Network administrator seem like an interesting career. What are the certificate path for this? Thank you all so much and your time.
  • Options
    UkimokiaUkimokia Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wangxjj123 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I just have one more pathway question because I'm still undecided which IT career path that I want to focus. After doing some research, Network administrator seem like an interesting career. What are the certificate path for this? Thank you all so much and your time.

A+ is a good basic cert that kind of covers a little bit of everything on a very basic level for IT in general. Network+ Goes a little more in depth into the network administration side. Those two should be enough to get you into an entry level NOC/Watch/Help Desk role. Then MCSA/CCNA take you a step further. MCSA would be more System Admin and CCNA would be towards Network Engineer messing with switches and routers hands on. So A+>Net+>MCSA/CCNA is a good place to start.
  • Options
    Dear Ukimokia, Thank you for your response. I really appreciate your input and I know where to focus on now. I see you have your A+ and Security+, what's your current role or where are you going moving forward. Thanks
  • Options
    UkimokiaUkimokia Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wangxjj123 wrote: »
    Dear Ukimokia, Thank you for your response. I really appreciate your input and I know where to focus on now. I see you have your A+ and Security+, what's your current role or where are you going moving forward. Thanks
    Tier II support, IT Security Policy
  • Options
    Alright, thank you for sharing.