Options

Field Service Technician Job

hades18hades18 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was wondering if you could tell me if this would be a good entry-level job?

Travling in a 60 mile radius of pittsburgh everyday
no clue about how many actual miles I would be driving each week
Use your own vehicle, they give 37cents per mile, pay own gas
I basically get 30 miles to the gallon with my current vehicle
Base pay of 28k + some medcial benefits and 401k, dont kno full details
1st yr one week paid vacation
overtime possibilities

I have just received my Associates degree in Computer Networking so I basically lack a lot of "official" work experience. I have done some independent work and have A+ certification. I want to find a decent job where i can start racking up real experience and still make a decent wage, does anyone thing this job is what I am looking for?

thxs
Hades18

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I do field service. It's an ok job, but it depends on the company you work for really. The range doesn't doesn't sound too bad, mine is around 100 miles. I have a company car, so that's a big plus as well. This job will get you lots of hands on with hardware, and some software too, but again, it depends on what machines you will actually touch. If you have no experience really, it's a good foot in the door.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    My first real IT job was Field Service also... I liked it.. the driving isn't too bad, gives you plenty of time to catch up with the radio and your own thoughts...

I think it is a great job to get experience... the pay and benefits seem pretty normal for that type of entry level job also.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    I'd say go for it. It can only lead to something better for you. Heck, I drive 80 miles round trip everyday to work!
  • Options
    hades18hades18 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How many miles could I expect to drive in a 5 day work week?? I know you cant give exact numbers, but how many do some of you other field techs drive in a week??

Hades18
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Well, some days I have driven over 300 miles, but that's the extreme, going from one place to another with a 2 hour drive in between, and then back, and then somewhere else, then home.......On average, I usually go at least 50-70 miles.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    If you drive 600 miles a week you would make an extra $222 from mileage. Assuming 30mpg, you can subtract about $50 for gas. Depending on your personal travel, you can expect oil changes every month to month and a half. Plus you have to consider general wear and tear on the car (tires, brakes, miscellaneous repairs, etc..). If you keep all your receipts you can always do deductions at tax time next year.

I would take it and keep your eyes open for a better gig, especially after 6 months of experience under your belt.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • Options
    cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
    Take it, it's a foot into the door. Once you get some hands on you can look for something better. A foot in the door is very important.

Good Luck
    To protect and to serve(r)...
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The milage they offer is standard. The pay and benefits look decent for entry level. I personally hate driving, but thats just me. All in all it sounds like a good entry level job. No one watching over your shoulder, no help desk phone support, a potentially wide range of trouble calls for becoming a well rounded tech. After a year or so you can decide if you want to stay on or move on. The company may have other positions you can promote into as well.
    All things are possible, only believe.