Passed PMP without ITTO memorization

riyanriyan Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
Last week; appeared in PMP exams. Took a mandatory training (face-to-face) with local training provider and got some overview of PMP requirements, terminology, structure of exams and introduction to PMBOK. But in itself training was not sufficient to pass the exam. In training, calculating floats, critical path, EVM etc. were discussed along with some practical problems that are generally faced by PM but it does not cover the exam content.
  • Although it was mentioned that ITTO should be memorized during the training sessions but I did not find it useful. May be one or two questions need it but considering the time and effort required it was not worth it.
  • So I totally avoided reciting or memorizing ITTOs but however I have roughly around 10+ years of experience dealing with different PMO (Project Management Office), each following their own methodology so I thought that there is no way PMP exam should be entirely based upon ITTO, there should be more than that.
  • First I targeted all numerical and calculation based topics CPM, EVM, Pricing/Contract etc.
  • Then I went through PMBOK 5th Edition to know exactly the phases and activities prescribed in PMBOK and understand the key Input and key output of each activity together with understanding of TT that's it.
  • During exam, I wrote down all the formulas and create a simplified matrix of Knowledge Area vs Project Phases. This was really help as after 1-2 hours, i used it a lot and would be in serious trouble if I had not written them down.
In the end, the result was as per my expectation (4 P and MP in Closing). MP in closing was due to the fact that I did not follow PMBOK and utilized experience, in some clients payments are more important, while other emphasize hand-over-training etc. While P, E, M&C are almost standardize.

Yes you have read it right, no Rita books used. That's overkill and may be good if you are a beginner & learning the basics. But no beginner should pursue PMP Cert as you need to have roughly 3-5 years experience to sit in the exam...

Comments

• zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Passed it a few months back myself.
  • riyanriyan Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks.

I heard PMI is changing PMP exams... I do not want the same fiasco we observed during CISSP transition after 15 April 2015..
    I hope PMP baseline is set already for new changes......
  • slimbugzslimbugz Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Everyone, I am preparing for my PMP Exam coming up in the next 17-days. I have been taking some practice exams both paid and free but my grades has been between 70% and 79% averagely on different test services. I have been using PMBOK-5 as main and core book, read Rita Once but dumped it because it is too wordy and been watching series of videos on Youtube by iZenBridge, CBT Nuggets and David Litten I read from different forums and blogs that "to be sure you're ready for the PMP exam, make sure your practice test scores averages between 75% to 80% on the average. I will love to know if am still on track in passing as it seems thats the best I can do. Please I will appreciate your feedback's.
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    slimbugz wrote: »
    Hello Everyone, I am preparing for my PMP Exam coming up in the next 17-days. I have been taking some practice exams both paid and free but my grades has been between 70% and 79% averagely on different test services. I have been using PMBOK-5 as main and core book, read Rita Once but dumped it because it is too wordy and been watching series of videos on Youtube by iZenBridge, CBT Nuggets and David Litten I read from different forums and blogs that "to be sure you're ready for the PMP exam, make sure your practice test scores averages between 75% to 80% on the average. I will love to know if am still on track in passing as it seems thats the best I can do. Please I will appreciate your feedback's.

Depends on your question bank. PMP Exam Simulator prepared me to pass. PMP Exam Simulator (2013) - Welcome to the Frontpage

You will need to know the formulas used to judge whether or not your project schedule and/or budget is on/off track.
    PMP Formulas and Calculation for the Certification Demystified
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe