Need guidance

sekharprudhivisekharprudhivi Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am working as Linux administrator since 4 years, but I want to move to infosec side as I love and find passion and feel energetic in this domain... but my problem is I am in dilemma whether it is wise to change the career now and also how to proceed.

Please help and guide me.

Thanks & regards,
Sekhar Prudhivi

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Proceed with caution first of all and always keep your eyes open. If you are not sure if its wise to change careers then don't do it. If you feel passionate about it, then go ahead full steam. It's simple really. Besides you are not changing fields, you still remain in IT. Your linux skills are very sought after in infosec.
  • sekharprudhivisekharprudhivi Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Thanks a lot for responding. Yes I am only changing direction, and my linux skills will be usefull. But I need help how to proceed in this direction. How to and from where should I start? Should I start with learning and getting CEH?
  • CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CEH isn't a bad idea(I'm actually taking the exam in less than 2 hours). CISSP looks great on your resume if you're interested in tackling that, HR loves to see it but it's more management than technical. If you don't have it already, Security+ is solid for learning the basics.

I'd start by reading security blogs and set up a home lab with Kali, a couple of windows VM's, and something like security onion. Pick up books like The Hackers Playbook, Red Team Field Manual and Blue Team Handbook. Learn how to scan, exploit, and perform post exploitation against the windows VM's. Use security onion to monitor your activity and learn what an attack looks like.

Lab, lab, lab is what I recommend. Reading a book is great and all but IMO there's nothing as good as downloading open source software(firewalls, proxy servers, etc) and just following along with YouTube videos on how to configure/operate it.
  • sekharprudhivisekharprudhivi Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sure... will follow these.. will learn the basics and simultaneously practice.... Thanks a lot...