MS Selp-Paced Training Kit book not in line with exam?

khagan1khagan1 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

First of all, just like to say this is a great forum. I'm very glad I found it - lots of very positive and encouraging people here!

I passed 70-270 a couple of days ago (thank god) with 810. In studying for the exam I only used the MS Self-Paced Training Kit and the accompanying CD. When I was doing the sample questions on the CD I really got the feeling that there were some important items that were only lightly touched or not touched at all in the book, yet were on numerous questions on the exam (e.g. secedit.exe, Bluetooth technologies, txtsetup.oem, MUI pack, etc.). I found that there were certain topics/items that I learned only by doing these questions!

Perhaps I just didn't read the book well enough, but I feel that the book and the exam were not in sync as well as they could have been. Would like to know if anyone else found these disparities?

My main reason for asking is that my MS 70-290 book is due to arrive in a couple of days and I'm wondering if I am safe to stick with just studying this book, or whether I should perhaps look into a back-up / supplemental book to improve my chances of seeing all the topics that will be on that exam.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and input!

Kevin

Comments

• leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    I recommend the exam cram 2 series.
    Dustin Leefers
  • How is the Sybex book for this exam. I used the Sybex book with MCDST and it sucked, I hope I can expect better results fro the Sybex 70-270.
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How is the Sybex book for this exam. I used the Sybex book with MCDST and it sucked, I hope I can expect better results fro the Sybex 70-270.

That is the only text I used for the 270. I felt like it covered everything needed for the exam.
  • namanama Member Posts: 187
    How is the Sybex book for this exam. I used the Sybex book with MCDST and it sucked, I hope I can expect better results fro the Sybex 70-270.

That is the only text I used for the 270. I felt like it covered everything needed for the exam.
    MS Press also has a book for 270. Is it good as compared to Sybex book?
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nama wrote:
    MS Press also has a book for 270. Is it good as compared to Sybex book?

I didn't use the MS Press for the 270 so I can't give you an opinion on that one. I used both Sybex and MS Press for the 290 and found that MS Press filled in gaps for Sybex.

Maybe someone that used MS Press for the 270 will give you a review for that book.
  • zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    I agree with you Khagan1. I'm studying for xp exam with two books; MS Press and Sybex. There are many topics that are less or not covered in MS Press and Sybex books I've found. I'm also using the Osborne book which explains in lament term that I could understand better. It's impossible for one book to cover everything expected on the exam. The more sources you use, the better.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • K_amisiK_amisi Inactive Imported Users Posts: 131
    It is rather coincidental that i scored the same mark as you, i am also of the opinion that the material tested was totally out of the scope of the 70-270 book.

I'm preparing for the 70-290, i have Syngress-very good in my opinion, Mspress and exam cram 2. I'm not leaving anything to chance.

I want to sit the exam in a week or two. i would suggest that you take a look at the resource kit.
    It is essential that justice be done, and it is equally vital that justice not be confused with revenge, for the two are wholly different."
  • raiedraied Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree the MS Press book does not have all the information for the practice exam on their CD. So I am reading a second book, an all in one book (MCSA 70-270/70-290/70-291) and hoping it will be a good supplimental book for all three exams.
  • OpiOpi Member Posts: 127
    Is the exam cram 2 book for this exam any good ?

Greetz