Options

Exam Reimbursment Post 9/11 G.I. Bill

Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
Anyone use this benefit? I imagine I need to fill out a metric crap ton of forms but I do know that I'm enrolled in the Post 9/11 program. I'm looking into using this and curious as to how long it takes them to reimburse for IT exams. My job most likely will not pay for a third exam this year icon_wink.gif

Comments

• Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Hey Fulcrum,

I do this ALL THE TIME! But, I use it with the Montgomery GI Bill Reserve. I am not 100% sure the differences but here are some things you need to consider. You will have to pay out of pocket first, before you can get reimbursed. The good thing? You can fail and still get reimbursed. I think the maximum test price is $2000. I have been reimbursed for three exams so far and the process is very simple as long as you do it exactly right. Since you are already registered with benefits, you can move to the next step!

The EASIEST way to submit everything is by "Asking a question" to the VA. I will attach the link: https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/utils/login_form/redirect/ask. Ensure you create an account once you arrive.

Here is what you need to do:

-Download VA form 22-0803 and fill it out, and attach it in your "ask a question"
    -When you take the exam, MAKE A COPY of your score report as you need to submit it under "ask a question," also.
    -MAKE A COPY of your receipt where you paid for the exam and submit it under "ask a question."

After attaching all three of these documents, then you will get approval for the reimbursement in around 3 weeks.

Let me know if you have any questions!
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I have - got both my CISSP and CEH reimbursed. But there is a caveat... If I remember correctly, having an exam fee reimbursed uses one month of benefits.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    Yeah it doesn't matter if the exam was a 100 dollar exam or a 2000 dollar exam it still uses a month. And correct me if im wrong but if its more than 2000.00 I believe it uses an additional month. I would totally use it for GIAC courses if I could but they will only reimburse for the actual exam, so either you are a genius who can challenge or you fork out the 4000+ for the coursework and they reimburse the 900 for the actual test.

Edit: You might want to check out the Syracuse University program if you recently ETSed or are about to ETS, they will pay for your exam voucher for a good amount of tests if you complete the free course and the courses are the same skillports we use in the Military so they aren't incredibly hard.
  • Options
    Rumblr33Rumblr33 Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The VTCP Program through Syracuse has filled up for the Independent Study track. If you have about 16 months left, you can do a SANS Graduate Certificate Program, if you have a Bachelor's degree. If the cost of the exam exceeds $2000, the VA will take extra months from you.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I've been done with the Army since 2012. I was a Reservist (Psychological Operations) but had enough active-duty time under my belt thanks to OIF- don't we all, I suppose icon_lol.gif That being said I haven't spoken one word to the VA in regards to my benefits or what I can do with them since so your info bpenn is also greatly appreciated. I'll dig a little deeper tonight. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't chasing the proverbial white rabbit because the VA is a very large hole to get lost in.
  • Options
    So I was finally able to verify how much of the benefit I had. 36 months with a 60% benefit level. Since I cant get them answer any questions (by phone of "ask a question" maybe you guys know. At 60% will they still cover a whole exam and bill me additional months? How do they reimburse? Auto deposit or do they mail a check?
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I can't answer the part of your question regarding amount, but the VA will direct deposit any reimbursement in to the account you've entered in to you eBenefits profile.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    guy9guy9 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I once gave them a call about it. I have found that it was just easier paying for the exam out of pocket instead of them taking 6 months of educational benefits for a couple hundred dollar exam. I exaggerated the months I know. Moral of the story I never found it worth it. Especially if I can afford it. I MIGHT have them pay for a bootcamp one day, then it MIGHT be worth it. I look at it like this for Post 911:

They are taking lets just say a month worth of benefits. In that month school would of cost me at the bare minimal a thousand dollars. I would of received $2100 in BAH (I know for a fact). So for being cheap I lost about 3k in benefits ..... Is a 500 or less Exam Voucher worth 3K in benefits? #*$& no. If you are tight on cash maybe, I can't say. Other than that it's best just to pay for the exam voucher out the pocket
  • Options
    Fulcrum45 wrote: »
    So I was finally able to verify how much of the benefit I had. 36 months with a 60% benefit level. Since I cant get them answer any questions (by phone of "ask a question" maybe you guys know. At 60% will they still cover a whole exam and bill me additional months? How do they reimburse? Auto deposit or do they mail a check?

Cert testing is different from traditional education. They will pay you back via direct deposit in full. I have 4 months active duty and they paid every dime of mine. I almost guarantee you will get 100%.
  • Options
    Once again, you guys prove to be more helpful than the VA themselves. Trying to update my direct deposit info and continue to get errors. Back on the phone again :)
  • Options
    daschildaschil Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As guy9 stated, you will lose an entire month of your benefit for a single test. Potentially, you could be throwing away a ton of money (BAH in your bank account and lost tuition reimbursement) for the cost of an exam voucher. Recently I decided to use my 9/11 to get a grad degree in cyber security and I'm very glad I didn't go to town wasting away my benefit on vouchers. BE VERY CAUTIOUS USING THE 9/11 BILL FOR THIS
    LinkedIn, twitter - David Schildroth
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with daschil and guy9. You're much better off using the GI Bill for college than exam reimbursement. I think it would probably be better to sign up and use your GI Bill at WGU. This would be a round abount way of getting the GI Bill to pay for the certification exam, plus you would get the added benefit of the MHA.

The only way I would even think about using the GI bill for exam reimbursement is if I had already gotten a degree with it and had a month or two of benefits remaining. Even then I would only use it for the exam fee of higher level exams that cost $2000.
  • Options
    DavidmhDavidmh Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also if you have 30% or greater Dis from the VA check out Vocation Rehabilitation, you this is a great program to use after the 9/11 program or if you are going to a long training like (ESI and boot camps).
  • Options
    daschildaschil Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Davidmh,

Awesome information. I had no idea about this program but it looks like it would be perfect for boot camps and week-long training. It looks like you only need a 10% rating if you are a veteran.
    LinkedIn, twitter - David Schildroth
  • Options
    I agree that the 9/11 GI Bill is better suited for school but if you are a Reservist who only gets the Montgomery GI Bill and has no active duty service, then certifications arent too bad a deal.
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are other programs that are provided by the VA. The VCTP through Syracuse was great. I did my CISSP training and they paid for my exam. I am currently enrolled in VET ALP and the PMP program. I just completed the training and they are paying for the exam. Send me a PM if you need the details.
  • Options
    I can see this program not being for everyone but as for me I dont have the time or resources to cough up the remaining 40% for another degree -my bill only covers 60% and I'm still paying for my first one :) Honestly my GI Bill would have withered away had I not discovered this so at least I'm getting use out of it.