Options

Equiptment or Simulation Software

BennyTheManBennyTheMan Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am studying for CCENT 1.

Should I use a simulator or just buy the equiptment and set up l real lab?

I can order 3 switches and 3 routers for around $300 and it comes with labs/study guides and cabling.

This seems like a really good idea to me.

I was planning on using GNS3 but I need an IOS image and can't figure out how to get that.

Any ideas on this stuff?

Thanks,

-Benny

Comments

• Options
    v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For CCENT, Packet Tracer is enough to get you by even for the CCNA.

To get an IOS image you need a cisco acct with valid contracts usually given by employers. If you don't have that, always remember google is your best friend icon_cool.gif.
  • Options
    steele84steele84 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What I have is 2 layer 3 switches, and one old 2900 series router. (which I wouldn't recommend because it doesn't support inter vlan routing with it's ios version, there is an upgrade for these series but my router dosen't have the flash size to facilitate the ios version needed) But I have been using GNS3 for labs configuring things like OSPF, ACLs, and even NAT (nat would be a bit easier with physical devices but it works). GNS3 if you take the time to get it configured correctly is awesome for routing, it's the switching that doesn't work since GNS3 can't replicate ASICs in software. You can add an ios image that supports a switch module, but it's not exactly the same as running a true switch, and some cmds are different (vlans in particular).

So my recommendation would be to check out GNS3 and purchase a few physical switches. Keith Barker with cbtnuggets has some awesome gns3 videos if you have access to the site.
    “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use both. I use my physical lab and connect it to GNS3, this works very well for me. Having physical equipment lets you learn cabling as well as what it is like to rack up real equipment. Plus there are other things that are not simulated. For instance, when I got one of my 2821s, a WIC card had wiggled loose in shipment and was causing the router to fail to boot. This was a learning experience I would not have had if I did simulation only. Packet Tracer will get you through the CCENT and maybe the CCNA. Past that I would use a physical lab or GNS3.
  • Options
    BennyTheManBennyTheMan Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the help. Back to studying and taking care of kids on summer vacation schedule (no freekin' schedule at all really). I am going to look Packet Tracer. I have downloaded GNS3, but I think it is over my head now. I am up to chapter 8 in Todd Lammle's CCNA Switching and Routing book and understand the material, even though it is not always presented in the clearest way (gets the point across eventually, though).

Thanks again.

Benny
  • Options
    steele84steele84 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the help. Back to studying and taking care of kids on summer vacation schedule (no freekin' schedule at all really). I am going to look Packet Tracer. I have downloaded GNS3, but I think it is over my head now. I am up to chapter 8 in Todd Lammle's CCNA Switching and Routing book and understand the material, even though it is not always presented in the clearest way (gets the point across eventually, though).

Thanks again.

Benny

With Todd's book I can tell you what has opened my eyes was going through the ICND1 class with Jeremy Cioara @ cbtnuggets. Also with Todd's book check out the micronugget links that are embedded in the chapters.
    “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Just in case, I have over 5 gigs of various IOS versions for older switches and routers.

As far as real or simulated, I like having real gear, when I was in my interview yesterday, I actually had to trouble shoot and un-hook cables and hook them back up in the correct positions, had to diagnose a bad jack, figure out why a router was not booting or powering up, so having hands on experience is really a benefit.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    There is an included simulator in Todd's book. Why not just use that?

Cheers.
  • Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found that simulators and emulators was enough for the CCNA. If you plan on going past a CCNA, then you would need a home lab anyways, and may as well purchase some equipment now, with plans on adding onto it later, if you can afford it. You can buy cheap layer 2 switches for $40-50, and cheap routers for $30-50, these would do just fine for the CCNA.