Options

Guidance Needed

Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
So I've been in IT for almost 6 years now but I'm wanting to get away from HelpDesk and move over to the security side of things. I've configured and installed my fair share of UTM devices so this aspect of security is not completely foreign to me however I'm not sure where to start. Do I do Security+ first or can I go straight for the SSCP? Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    Sec+ and SSCP occupy the same grade if you intend to work for the DoD - I think that they are not of equal difficulty and if you want to take a first step sec+ is great, I am more pleased about the SSCP though.

Also, are you paying for the training/exam?
  • Options
    Thanks for the guidance. Most likely the VA or maybe my current employer will reimburse me for it but I've yet to get that part sorted out. From what I see the SSCP exam is actually cheaper than Security+ but I also wasn't entirely clear on the difficulty of getting vouched for by the ISC2 and who exactly declares my previous work experience as valid per the SSCP requirements. I'd like to skip over Security+ if possible but perhaps I should do them both. Sounds like I have more research to do.
  • Options
    TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    I think that I got something out of my study for both exams. Sec+ was intro to Infosec, SSCP was ramping up to CISSP. So I look at it as a halfway house... A half marathon vs marathon so to speak.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I figured I would just wrap up Security+ in the next month or so and get started on the SSCP. Who determines my minimum 1 year of experience in one of the relevant domains? I'm 90% certain I have more than 3-4 years of Communication and Network Security but I guess I'm at a loss on how I would prove that. I'm sure ISC2 will tell me when the time comes :)
  • Options
  • Options
    NetworkNewb, thanks for the explanation. I was a bit concerned about not having enough experience in the right areas but it sounds like most typical job duties of a System/Network Admin would cover much of the experience requirement for ISC2. Good to know. I'm the same as you, I want to grow as fast as my experience and certs will allow and this is the direction I've chosen. I'll knock out Sec+ ASAP and move on.