Options

IT Security/Career advice - Please help

SwaswaswaSwaswaswa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I am taking Information Technology Security at my local college. I understand the general concept of IT security, I would like some more in depth information of what I may encounter.

Currently I have completed Cisco's Network Academy 1-4 and scheduled for my CCNA test this October. Aside from the certification path, I am also pursuing my AAS degree. I still have no idea what I want to do with networking... I'm not exactly sure what is out there so in the mean time, I'm learning the basics. Please tell me what are some of the options I have with my current degree plan.

Personal Computer Hardware
Network+
Implementing and Supporting Client Operating Systems
Supporting Network Server Infrastructure
Implementing and Supporting Servers
Information Tech. Security
Linux Installation and Configuration
Computer Virtualization

And the rest are core classes. If you feel like being very detailed, please do. icon_study.gif
Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tons of threads on security career advice on this forum with many stickies. Take a look and let us know if you have questions.
  • Options
    broli720 wrote: »
    Tons of threads on security career advice on this forum with many stickies. Take a look and let us know if you have questions.

Thank you for the information. I will take a look.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There are over 30 recognized tasks within IT Security. My advice is to find a position as a junior auditor and learn the business reasoning behind IT security first. Tech skills almost come in second but sound so much sexier than all the background learning you need before attempting to practice actual security.

- b/eads
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This person needs experience and a job to pay for schooling and a living before pursuing an expensive cert or two before racking up debt. Certs are OK but hardly the golden road many like to make believe in.

- b/eads
  • Options
    You guys are awesome! Thank you for your time.