CCNA home lab questions

ibrahiemkibrahiemk Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I am beginning to start to study for the CCNA R/S and subsequently, the CCNP (security track, I think). I have been offered the below hardware list from a friend. Will this setup be adequate for the needs of these two course? If not, what is missing? Is there truly something to gain by using hardware, as opposed to Packet Tracer? Thank you in advance for your help!

1 Cisco Terminal Server
4 cisco 2600 Routers
1 cisco 24 ports 3500 Switch
1 cisco 24 ports 2960 Switch
1 cisco 24 ports 2950 Switch
1 Cisco Pix Firewall 515

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Physical hardware is always more hands on that software implementations of hardware as they do not have all the functionality that physical hardware provides. The equipment you have is great.
  • ibrahiemkibrahiemk Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your response. I just want to confirm, I have not yet purchased this hardware from my friend, but does this hardware have all the necessary components to complete CCNA and CCNP? I am especially concerned with IOS and ASA aspects. I have read a lot around the internet, but I am still confused. Thanks again everyone.
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The cisco terminal server is a nice to have item. Makes your studying easier, but there are no questions about a terminal server on a test.
    2600 routers, it depends on what the model is. If they are just the plain 2600, they aren't that good for the ccna and not good at all for ccnp. If they are 2600xm routers with 128/32mb of memory they are useable for the ccna
    the 3500 shouldn't even be used.
    The 2960 is an excellent switch for the ccna
    the 2950 is an ok switch for the ccna
    the pix shouldn't be used.
    And for a ccnp lab you should have hardware that can run version 15 of the ios. Then only item that can is the maybe the 2960 switch depending on the model. But, for the ccnp you need level 3 switches and the 2960 only has limited level 3 support. So, the only item you'd use in a ccnp lab is the terminal server.
  • nanochillbotnanochillbot Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Let's see what you got.
    Depends on what you're paying for this.
    Packettracer is cute.....GNS3 is better (but requires real IOS's), real gear is killer

1 Cisco Terminal Server ---> Not bad for accessing your gear. (I use a RaspberryPi as my Linux based termserver with 4 3550's running L3, 2611XM, 2850, IADS, PIX515e, ASA5505 configured
    for VOIP and Security with GNS3 as emulator.)

4 cisco 2600 Routers---> What flavor 2600? What version IOS ?
    1 cisco 24 ports 3500 Switch ---> What version IOS ? (The IOS version can run L3 routing, which you are gonna wanna know about especially for CCNP)
    1 cisco 24 ports 2960 Switch---> Basic L2 but maybe capable of L3?
    1 cisco 24 ports 2950 Switch---> Basic L2
    1 Cisco Pix Firewall 515---> What version IOS? Past your CCNA, you wanna know something about Firewalls.
    So my friend if you're thinking of doing CCNP Security, you're gonna do the CCNA Security first, with ASA's the big
    sister to PIX firewalls. Cut your teeth with the PIX. Does it have the PDM? or the ASDM ?

Hope this helps
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. My friend is asking for $250 for this setup. I've asked him a couple times about specific model numbers where applicable, but he has been very busy with work and has yet to reply. Also, this entire setup is housed in a half-height rack. He used this setup to pass his CCNA/CCNP back in 2008 (when he purchased it for $650) and hasn't used it since. This leads me to assume that only IOS 12 is supported and my very basic understanding is that none of this equipment can be upgraded.
    Well, I'd sell you a lab with a lot better equipment for less than that shipped to your door.
    send if a private message (pm) if you'd like to discuss it further
    clarson wrote: »
    Well, I'd sell you a lab with a lot better equipment for less than that shipped to your door.
    send if a private message (pm) if you'd like to discuss it further

I'm fairly certain I'm not this stupid, but I can't figure out how to PM... Maybe because I'm a new forum member?
    in the forum go to the bottom of the page. contact a moderator about being able to send private messages.
  • GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ibrahiemk wrote: »
    1 Cisco Terminal Server
    4 cisco 2600 Routers
    1 cisco 24 ports 3500 Switch
    1 cisco 24 ports 2960 Switch
    1 cisco 24 ports 2950 Switch
    1 Cisco Pix Firewall 515

I've got newer kit than this, though fair enough I paid more like $700 so far all in with 3 routers, 3 switches, a cabinet, cables etc but you get what you pay for. I have an 1841 and two 2811 routers along with 3 WIC-1T serial interfaces, all default config and running IOS 12.x so if I want to upgrade to IOS 15.x I have to upgrade the ram and compact flash cards on them (and find some way of getting hold of IOS images). With hindsight and because I want to do voice next I should have bought 2821's and maybe a 3845, they might be a lot bigger but they're much more expandable and only slightly more costly than what I paid for my current setup.

For my switches I again went for newer kit in the form of a 2960 and two 3560 PoE models, but while I thought I was being clever I've since learnt stuff that might have affected my buying decisions. For example my WS-C3560-25PS-S switches only support up to IOS 12.2(55)SE10, I think because the internal flash isn't upgradeable from 16mb so won't fit IOS 15 which requires 32mb. Not that this worries me for now as IOS 15 is licensed differently so chances are I'll not be able to upgrade anyway as the cost is likely to be prohibitive to do it legitimately, but in future I'll look more closely at the specs and limitations.

I agree with clarson's comments in that the 2600's are no good if they're not 2600XM models, and the 50-series switches are a bit old too. Although it will cost you more you should be looking for newer kit like my 2800-series routers and 2960/3560 switches, in the end you'll have better kit that you won't need to replace for your CCNA/CCNP Security.
  • _Gonzalo__Gonzalo_ Member Posts: 113
    ibrahiemk wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I am beginning to start to study for the CCNA R/S and subsequently, the CCNP (security track, I think).

Use simulators...
    For CCNA, nothing more than Cisco´s free tool Packet tracert is needed.
    CCNP requires at least GNS3 (also free) but it doesn´t hurt to have some real hardware for it.

As for your intended track, it does not work that way. You need CCNA Security and then you can go to CCNP Security. CCNA R&S does not open a path to any CCNP.

I got some advice from my CCNP teacher (who was a security consultant) that I want to share:
    Do not go for CCNP Security, it is too focused on Cisco´s products (obviously) and working in the security field often needs knowledge of different manufacturers. It´s best if you go for CCNA security and start studying once you are having work experience with whatever manufacturer/s you need to.