Options

Help setting up a virtual lab on vmware workstation

RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everybody,

I would like to setup a virtual lab for server 2012 R2 in vmware workstation on my home pc. My PC spec are very good, so RAM and CPU should not be an issue. However, my PC only has one NIC.

Is it possible to my my lab behind a virtual switch and/or router that will grant the lab access to the internet, but will prevent outside connections from coming in? I suppose this would be a DMZ.

Right now, I have 2 virtual installations of server 2012 in vmware, but I do not know how to put them into their own DMZ private network.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can setup different subnets for the lab, you can use NAT or you can setup the vms in bridge mode.
    You will need to setup a local domain and promote a domain controller, install the Active directory and some other services and you will be ready to go. Plenty of AD books out there to help you start off.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I followed this video to set up my lab for server 2012 R2

How To Create A Windows 2012 Hyper-V Home Lab Environment in VMware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG3vXlo2q7M

There are others videos on this channel that cover the objectives on this exam.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I haven't seen the video yet, but the way I have it running on my laptop is. I have vitualbox installed then i have pfsense installed with 2 virtual network cards.

it shares the internet connection but doesn't have access to other workstation on the network once I connect my laptop. I have my testing lab with a 10.2.0.xxx network.

Hope that help.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*