Options

CISSP 2015 passed July 28th

lordhenrylordhenry Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I have been reading this forum quite a lot before taking the exam so I decided to share my experience.

I took the new CISSP with the 8 CBK 2015 on July 28th and... I passed. icon_cheers.gif
It was my first attempt. icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

Lot of questions related to Secure Code Development and a few to Security Frameworks such as PCI-DSS. A few scenorio based questions and other conceptual question. Many of the answers I have figured out only thorugh my experience (I am a security auditor with 5 years of experience), they were not related to the books I have studied and the quiz I have taken.

Here is the material I have used:

Books
CISSP All In one guide, 6th edition, Shon Harris
CISSP eleventh hour, 2nd edition by Eric Conrad

Online video training
CISSP course on Cybrary.it by Kelly Handerhan (AMAZING) bowing.gif

Test Quiz:
Quiz on the All in One Guide CD by Shon harris
Quiz related to CISSP on www.freepracticetests.org

I have studied more or less 2 months.

First month: 4-5 hours reading everyday.
Second month: 10 days for watching the Cybrary.it video, 10 days for quiz, roughly 500 questions per day.

No study/quiz during the weekend, rest is as important as studying.

Now I am waiting for the endorsement process to be finished!

Good Luck to everyone! icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    melvinfzmelvinfz Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I know the Shon Harris book is considered the best all in one resource, but do you think the Eric Conrad book was sufficient if you understand all the topics?
  • Options
    Sam_aquaSam_aqua Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats lordhenry

Seems it's NOT BEEN a very hectic journey for you considering less than 2 months time, BUT very well deserved. Have FUN.
  • Options
    Michael-Michael- Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Hi there,

The 11th hour Eric Conrad Book is not enough (note that this is the short one). Shon Harris book and Cybrary helped me a lot.
  • Options
    gratz!

and 4-5 hours of reading everyday?? how many cups of coffee did you have a day??

No sorry, I do not drink coffee ;)

only tea :)
  • Options
    justjenjustjen Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Apparently, tea works too - congrats!
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and thanks for the feedback :)
  • Options
    DMouldenDMoulden Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Going for my second attempt after I get the new Sybex book in September. I only missed by 25 points the first try. Any advice on the new format/ information? There are 4 of us where I work who are studying for it. Thanks
  • Options
    kukkukukku Member Posts: 130 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DMoulden wrote: »
    Going for my second attempt after I get the new Sybex book in September. I only missed by 25 points the first try. Any advice on the new format/ information? There are 4 of us where I work who are studying for it. Thanks
    Does the Sybex book covers the new CISSP 2015 outline?
    You can check out the new material as per Eric Conrad's 3rd edition blog
  • Options
    cbkihongcbkihong Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ISC2 recently announced they have partnered with Sybex instead of CRC Press for future publications (future CBKs and study guides), so yes, it should be official and should cover the 2015 syllabus.

The book is not yet published, according to Amazon. And it is supposed to be a study guide (more exam oriented), not a new CISSP CBK.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cbkihong wrote: »
    ISC2 recently announced they have partnered with Sybex instead of CRC Press for future publications (future CBKs and study guides), so yes, it should be official and should cover the 2015 syllabus.

Thanks for the info!
    Wow. 7th edition and only available from September.

Sybex: CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide, 7th Edition - James M. Stewart, Mike Chapple, Darril Gibson
  • Options
    sudesinghsudesingh Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats op!! That's quite an achievement.

Did you not use the ISC CBK Official book at all?

Is this book really required for the exam?
  • Options
    bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you haven't taken the exam yet AND haven't started to read any books, I'll wait until the release of the new Sybex book. Shon's book is good for the questions but there are other resources just as good and may i add, straight to the point. I personally didn't even use her book. IMHO, I wouldn't even combine two different books that are almost 1000+ pages each together either. I'll get one of those (read cover to cover) and probably 11th hour OR Conrad's 3rd edition (released in Nov) WITHOUT the 11th hour and make my own notes. I'll watch Cybrary for reinforcement. For tests, I'll go with transcender and probably cccure. That's it, nothing more nothing less. The differences are small that can influence your results so be careful. Quality over quantity or you'll get overwhelmed. The test is mgmt based, keep that in mind. Tech exams site has a lot of individuals who are technical focused so the exam may appear to be a bit more difficult. Its like explaining to a math major how difficult the calculus exam was when you're a business major....icon_lol.gif

I apologize to anyone if I'm brash or blunt, it's nothing personal. I just like to get to the point and get the job done effectively and efficiently, its in my mgmt nature.
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup: