Maybe it's my eyes

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
I was setting up single area OSPF in a lab, completed it, and basically went in and wanted to see how it would react when I set the hello and dead intervals to mismatch, since the resource I'm reading said that this is a very common issue when troubleshooting OSPF.

So I went in, destroyed it, left for a little and came back, and sure enough the SHOW IP OSPF NEIGHBORS on the device I reset the times to did not show any OSPF neighbor information.

I did some digging, knowing what the issue was of course, but I went and typed SHOW IP OSPF INTERFACE *name* for every interface available to see the hello and dead intervals for each, and did do on the neighboring routers.

I could have sworn that one of the outputs for an interface did not show the hello and dead intervals.

Maybe it's my eyes? I looked all over for it.

Is there a time where it doesn't show?

I'm practicing for the ICND1 exam next week. Not sure if there will be actual configuration (such as fixing the OSPF settings to converge the network) or if there will be questions as to WHY the neighbors aren't showing up, but I wanted to prepare for both scenarios.

Comments

• NansNans Member Posts: 160
    Well you should have posted the output here .... well if there are no timers i say i donno what to do :P i will be wasting all my time just to find those timers during troubleshooting ultimately shooting my self :P
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yah I should have saved it. Oh well.

I I probably missed it. I typed the same command again after I fixed the intervals and it showed. I broke it again and typed in the command and it showed.

Who knows.
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    maybe one of the interfaces you didnt include in ospf
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Slightly off topic, do you know the other common issues to look for in OSPF configs?

- Same area
    - Same subnet
    - Cannot have same router ID
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
    Yep
    those are the settings I already knew to look for with the show ip interface brief command

I was practicing the hello and dead intervals because it requires a little more digging, in my opinion, and I kept getting confused as to where to change the hello and dead intervals.
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    turn on ospf debugs
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You must have divided by zero :) Are you working in a physical lab? Or is it PT/ GNS3?
    Was an online lab from Pearson that I was given access to by WGU. The 180 day lab thing or whatever it was. I just go into it and destroy things and attempt to fix them up lol.
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Was an online lab from Pearson that I was given access to by WGU. The 180 day lab thing or whatever it was. I just go into it and destroy things and attempt to fix them up lol.

Ah, I see. There's a very good chance you're not crazy and there is simply a bug in the software.