Options

Those with CEH and GCIH

E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
I'm taking the GCIH soon and I'm considering working on CEH immediately after because of the similar material (plus I see CEH in more job requirements than GCIH). I don't think a bootcamp would be necessary since I've taken SANS SEC504 so I would like to know what supplemental reading you all recommend. I already have Matt Walker's AIO and practice exams. Anything else?
Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Taking SEC504 immediately put you a thousand steps above the CEH. Just review the Matt Walker guide, practice with the most popular tools, take the exam, wait a few years, let your CEH expire, move on to better certs.
  • Options
    Thank you sir!

I want to move to Holland and I rarely see security roles there that want GIAC, but they do want CEH. Security pros here think the cert is a joke, but they want it over there. Sigh - oh well. Should be easy following GCIH.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd say you can pass CEH any day without preparation. You will probably miss a couple of questions that are stupid anyways, like questions on BlackBerry hacks (who uses them anymore) etc., but 70% isn't that hard to get, considering that people here who prepare themselves end up with 96,8%.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

These are the labs that I had in SEC504:

John The Ripper
    Nessus
    InSSIDER
    Metasploit
    Netcat
    Nmap
    Redline
    Rpcclient
    Volatility
    SQL injection
    Shell history
    Cross site scripting
    Alternate data streams

Does that line up pretty well w/ CEH?
  • Options
    OM602OM602 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well I live in the Shire(you might wanna call it The Netherlands btw...not the same thing as Holland)

Anyway CEH is, like in US, just to get past HR. The technical folks will be more impressed with SANS certs(or OSCP) not sure what you are after.
    The world chico, and everything in it
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    E Double U wrote: »

Does that line up pretty well w/ CEH?

Indeed it does. Maybe put 50% of all effort into memorizing nmap switches and getting familiar with it, this exam is really heavy on nmap use cases...
  • Options
    OM602 wrote: »
    Well I live in the Shire(you might wanna call it The Netherlands btw...not the same thing as Holland)

Anyway CEH is, like in US, just to get past HR. The technical folks will be more impressed with SANS certs(or OSCP) not sure what you are after.

I understand the difference, but we actually do want to move to the Noord-Holland province since that is where mijn vrouw is from. :D

Getting beyond the HR filter is exactly what I'm looking for LOL.
  • Options
    dkandldkandl Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just finished GCIH last week and I am going to do CEH this week. It seems like there is a lot of overlap.
  • Options
    dkandl wrote: »
    I just finished GCIH last week and I am going to do CEH this week. It seems like there is a lot of overlap.

Agreed. I'm breezing through the Matt Walker guide because most of this stuff is so familiar.
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just passed the GCIH and working on getting the CEH scheduled (pain in the butt).

How was the CEH for you GCIH holders?

Thanks
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...