Options

Wireless Cisco wan router.

Mr.NetworkMr.Network Member Posts: 117
I'm looking to change my router, I want to have more advanced cisco router at home that i can play with.

any suggestions on model ? what would you buy?
CCNA R&S, MCSA.

Comments

• Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Start the building of your LAB:

Cisco ASA 5505
    Cisco Aironet XXXX (k9w7)
  • Options
    Ok, so I can use my firewall as a router? :)
    CCNA R&S, MCSA.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes for the most part you can. Especially for a small home network.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I own a 5505, i didn't even think of that :)
    so I'm going to give it a try :)
    CCNA R&S, MCSA.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mr.Network wrote: »
    Ok, so I can use my firewall as a router? icon_smile.gif

Yes. I use a Cisco ASA 5505 with a Cisco WAP4410N (Small Business 802.11n AP) plugged into one of the 2 PoE ports. The ASA will do almost everything a regular router will, except Serial WAN (not needed for Home) and GRE Tunnels. The ASA supports NAT, ACLs, Most Routing Protocols (RIP, EIGRP, OSPFv2, OSPFv3, and BGP), and Route Filtering/Redistribution/Summarization. More than enough for a home network.

The main thing you need to watch out for is licensing. The base ASA 5505 only allows 10 users (devices connecting at the same time), 3 VLANs (1 Inside, 1 Outside, and 1 DMZ), and doesn't allow trunking. Connecting an iPhone/iPad or Android device to the VPN requires a separate license as does allowing more than 2 SSL VPN Connections. While two SSL VPN is enough for a Home Network, on occasion an SSL VPN session will get disconnected (due to internet issues) but won't release the session and its license to allow another connection until the expiration of a timeout period. If you are the only one who is connecting that shouldn't be a problem as you'll have an extra session available.

If the price is acceptable, you might consider the Security Plus model. It comes with the Security Plus License which Enables Trunking, Active/Standby High Availability, and Dual ISP Connections and removes the limit on devices that can connect to the internet (users) at one time.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]