Failed on my 2nd attempt 724

PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
Hi all,

Unfortunately i have failed for a second time with this exam.

I dont want to give up as i have invested too much time and effort in to attaining this cert but i am at a loose end as to the right way to approach this cert.

First of all i think what i am lacking is on the job experience for this cert, correct me if im wrong! Now i know it is a good to have at least two years experience to tackle this cert but how do i get on the job experience if i cant get my foot in the door of IT. I have my A+ and Network+ cert so i am half way there with the requirements of tackling this cert.

Now i dont want to be percieved as a paper cert holder as im not.

The books that i have at my disposal are Exam Cram2 which i think does not cover the objectives in full
Security+ Certification for dummies.
Security+ Syngress ( I didnt get through all of this book)
TCat's Security+ Inside Scoop

My apologies for going on and on just venting my anger and disapointment at not getting this cert.

I'll keep trying perhap change my study habits.

Oh one more thing, i wish everyone the best in the certification quests and if you pass your security+ exam soon do let me know your secret plz.

Take care and good luck

Regards

Eamonn icon_cry.gif
Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University

Comments

• I used Syngress and for Dummies and it took me 2 tries to pass this one. Yea, its hard, but just keep at it. I also bought some index cards and made flashcards for the test too. Try that out, it worked for me.
  • TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    Better luck next time. Keep at it!!! :D
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • nachiusnachius Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say work your way through the Syngress book entirely.

Be sure to go over the things the test said you missed as well in full detail.

Overall I felt my on the job experience is what got me through the test more so than the material itself.

Keep at it and be sure you know encryption, Hashing, and Certificates. As well as the CIA triangle. Confedentiality, Integrity, and Authentication.
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    The biggest probalem with this exam is poorly written questions and a lack of any 1 good study material.

Read the technotes here.....they are as good or better than anything you can buy.

The dummies book is a good read and a great intro into the security+ but it doesnt go deep enough to ensure a pass.

I have no experience with the rest of the materials you listed. I used this site and the dummies book.
  • PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    Hi all,

Thanks everybody for the replies.

Have to hit the books again, and the Technotes on this site Johan great job by the way very informative.

Regards

Eamonn :D
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
    Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University
  • JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    I don't if this is of any benefit but here is the link to the CompTIA approved study guides.

http://www.comptia.org/certification/security/training_materials.aspx
  • indubasuindubasu Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nachius wrote:

Overall I felt my on the job experience is what got me through the test more so than the material itself.

Keep at it and be sure you know encryption, Hashing, and Certificates. As well as the CIA triangle. Confedentiality, Integrity, and Authentication.

I think the CIA triangle pertains to Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability.. Right?
  • JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    indubasu wrote:
    nachius wrote:

I think the CIA triangle pertains to Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability.. Right?
    You are correct, its Availability
  • nachiusnachius Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You're right, I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that!

Authentication is another topic entirely!