Options

Composite vs ICND1 & ICND2

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
I was reading around the web and I've seen a lot of people recommend taking the composite exam as opposed to the two test route, and the main reason is because:

When taking the composite, you only have around 50 questions. Within those 50, a lot of them could come from ICND1 topics which are easier than ICND2 topics.
Instead of taking 100 questions, 50 in each category, your chances are better at the 50 total questions, which a lot of them could be in the ICND1 topic list.

Thoughts?

I'm taking the 2 route test either way, ICND2 is next. Just need to get my lab set up since I hear it's not the theory any more, it's mostly troubleshooting.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I always take the composite exams when possible. Less questions, less exams and you have to learn it all anyway. I really see no valid reason not to personally unless you just really want that CCENT cert.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Kinda forced to due to WGU, I would have taken the composite if it weren't for that fact.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    OK, so I did the ICND1 exam in March and am currently revising for ICDN2. The reason I did them separately is because I took more than 9 months from when I finished my CCNA courses to sit the exam. I figured I'd have a better chance of passing something if I just did the easy exam first. I also had never done a Cisco exam, so had no idea how easy/hard it would be. The CCENT cert made the decision easier, since I knew I'd come out with something from just doing that first exam. I only just passed the ICDN1, so thought I should study up before doing part 2. In between a few other things came up...

So I had no great plan there. I am guessing that the organised, competent people probably do just do the combo exam, and start studying for CCNP. The only other reasons I can think of is if they are doing one of those long course (3 hours every Saturday for 5 months to cover one exam), or where there is some other external requirement (employer, education) to do them separately.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Everyone can be competent in anything if they try, my motto.

I see what you are saying Octaldump, and in that case I would have done the same.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the 2 exam route because:

1) You get the CCENT. It might not have much value, but its nice to get something.

2) The composite cost $250 when I took ICND1/ICND2 vs. $125 each for ICND1 and ICND2. If you fail the composite, it will cost you another $250 (or whatever it costs now) to retake. If you were to pass ICND1, but fail ICND2 you'd only be out $125 (or whatever it costs now).

3) Less material for each exam, making it easier to review/cram before the exam. I studied for both exams and then leading up to ICND1 reviewed/crammed on the ICND1 topics. After passing ICND1, I reviewed/crammed on the ICND2 topics for a few weeks and took (and passed) ICND2.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here is the bottom line. If you can pack all of the knowledge for the CCNA into your head at once, then take the CCNA composite exam, otherwise do the two exam approach. The CCENT does nothing for you once you have your CCNA.
  • Options
    joeljosuejoeljosue Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did the composite.
    I rather have one only exams and finish once at all than study for one and then study for another.
    Of course as some previously said there is the money issue