Getting Back into IT not sure what cert to go for..

daimondaimon Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been out of the IT game for some time now, and really need to move forward and get a better job from a layoff from HP a few years back. Wondering were to start now. Should I really work hard on CCNA? I'd only be able to go by books and online sims with low income at the moment. The main reason I guess I suggested CCNA just because its more respected than others. But would definitely take time to study for it. I'd guess focus on ICND1 and go from there. I'm 34 now and haven't been in the game since maybe 27 or so.

Any suggestions of getting back in the IT world would be great. It's been a while, and I'd really like to focus on networking vs. MS desktop support and computer tech. Unless that would be the fastest way to get my foot back in the door.
Thanks in advanced!

Comments

• roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am/was in a very similar boat. I'm 36, left IT at 28 to start my own business. Have a new family now and need stable income.
    So i finally decided to move back into IT with a focus in cyber security.

My cert choice was chosen for me though as I landed a job with a DoD contractor who asked that I show up to work with Security+. I with 5 weeks to go, I got to work and passed it the day before my start date. Then I went for my MCSA. The reason for this is that it qualified me at the DoD IAT II level, which helps get jobs with the federal government or with DoD contractors.

I also would like to get more technical certs and I think CISSP is next. I still need to test for CEH but I'm almost ready.

I think S+ is a good one to start with. It's not too hard if you have a background in IT. IMO the cyber side of things is paying higher than good ol' desktop/networking jobs so I think focusing on security will produce higher ROI for your study time. While networking is interesting, it doesn't pay as much unless you are really really good, like having CCNP/CCIE type certs. Depends on your own goals though. Just my 2C.
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • daimondaimon Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dragonsden wrote: »
    I am/was in a very similar boat. I'm 36, left IT at 28 to start my own business. Have a new family now and need stable income.
    So i finally decided to move back into IT with a focus in cyber security.

My cert choice was chosen for me though as I landed a job with a DoD contractor who asked that I show up to work with Security+. I with 5 weeks to go, I got to work and passed it the day before my start date. Then I went for my MCSA. The reason for this is that it qualified me at the DoD IAT II level, which helps get jobs with the federal government or with DoD contractors.

I also would like to get more technical certs and I think CISSP is next. I still need to test for CEH but I'm almost ready.

I think S+ is a good one to start with. It's not too hard if you have a background in IT. IMO the cyber side of things is paying higher than good ol' desktop/networking jobs so I think focusing on security will produce higher ROI for your study time. While networking is interesting, it doesn't pay as much unless you are really really good, like having CCNP/CCIE type certs. Depends on your own goals though. Just my 2C.

Thanks for answering mate. The thing is what would get me in the game faster I guess. I mean, I work a crap job now just for any income, and need out. So I wouldn't know what to apply for with a S+ I guess. And that's why I thought about maybe a CCENT since its the bare essentials for something in IT/Networking field.
    I guess it depends on what your experience is. I studied for CCENT in June. (haven't tested yet). Its harder than S+ IMO. Its a technical cert, where S+ is higher level. S+ will get you some interest if you look for gov/contractor jobs. But if that may not be your thing. I think you'll need to first identify what exactly you want to be doing and for what salary. then take it from there.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd suggest searching job boards locally for mcsa and ccna then look at what experience they're looking for and compare it to your previous experience. There will very likely be more competition for systems then network. Then decide your next cert, FME CCNA currently are easier tests than 2012 MCSA. If they all seem above you I'd suggest getting the A+ to get your foot back in the door.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    techfiend wrote: »
    I'd suggest searching job boards locally for mcsa and ccna then look at what experience they're looking for and compare it to your previous experience. There will very likely be more competition for systems then network. Then decide your next cert, FME CCNA currently are easier tests than 2012 MCSA. If they all seem above you I'd suggest getting the A+ to get your foot back in the door.

I don't think I really need a A+ now a days. Just something to get foot in the door, I was going to go as low as MCP for anything which would be faster. Or take time that I have and try for a ccent.
    Also, i think if you studied & passed CCENT, then you could also probably take N+ just to add 1 more cert to your belt. May help with those networking jobs.
    Also, i think if you studied & passed CCENT, then you could also probably take N+ just to add 1 more cert to your belt. May help with those networking jobs.

I figure it'd help with getting into most IT jobs, once they see csico or a decent cert you can get past a lot. I'm not asking for a super high end job, just something to get in and grow again. I mean even a CCENT would look good I suppose then nothing.
    You likely don't need the knowledge A+ gives you, most people don't but it's the most common cert for HR to get some interviews. It's only the case if the CCNA or MCSA positions in your area are well above what you have to offer.

I parlayed my A+ into a sys admin role, the knowledge has never really helped me but it was required to interview. Meanwhile the CCNA hasn't done anything for me so far but I don't have any cisco experience.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    You likely don't need the knowledge A+ gives you, most people don't but it's the most common cert for HR to get some interviews. It's only the case if the CCNA or MCSA positions in your area are well above what you have to offer.

I parlayed my A+ into a sys admin role, the knowledge has never really helped me but it was required to interview. Meanwhile the CCNA hasn't done anything for me so far but I don't have any cisco experience.

I get what your saying, and I thank you for the advice. But to pay the price for something I already know that's twice as much as going for a higher end cert, and the fact that it wont expand my knowledge, and be as valued with a cisco cert. I just can't get myself to do a A+ test. Maybe if I was 18-22 yeah for sure. But not at 34, I know that's trying to make the cert above me and all of that. But, I find it isn't as valued comparing an A+ (which in test wise a lot of money just to take a test I already know) and a CCENT / CCNA (which cost MUCH less to take, and usually recognized as a higher cert). I mean I just can't get myself to do an A+.

Getting a MCP I can see possibly of some sort I can see, but which test to take I'd have no clue. I haven't looked at MS certs in sooooooo long. I'm open minded for anything else than an A+
    The 70 680 for Windows 7 is pretty easy. That's an MCTS for you aND one more cert to MCSA
    The 70 680 for Windows 7 is pretty easy. That's an MCTS for you aND one more cert to MCSA
    They still do certs for Windows 7? I mean I still use windows 7 for a lot of reasons. But I thought they were going to EOL it soon, or stop support. Then again, they always threaten that over and over and extend it.

Yeah it's being retired "Note The MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring certification is retiring in the fall of 2015."

oh the 680 I think is not going to be yet.
    If you can get your foot back in the door with a CCNA and your past experience in your area then by all means that's the path to take. In my area it'd be nearly impossible unless you take $10/hr from Aston during training then $18-20/hr while living out of a suitcase. Being that your experience was 7 years ago not many companies will look at it with much relevance unfortunately. You could alternatively go for MCP/MCSA 2012, it's more difficult then CCNA IME but it might be easier to break in with it then CCNA.

I don't see the A+ as a useful cert from a personal standpoint but companies love it for entry level positions. The pricing is kind of deceptive, Unless you take and pass the CCNA composite the first time the A+ is cheaper and a lot quicker. A+ with exam cram or free videos and free online tests can be had for less than $400 (see CompTIA A+ Certification Vouchers 220-801 220-802 ) and it might take 40 hours of study time. My CCNA materials; 3 book, 3 vouchers and 2 practice tests would have cost over $800, if not for WGU, that's with one 1 retake and it took about 200 hours of study. You can find members with cisco experience spending a lot more money and time on the CCNA, retakes are common as well, it's not a cakewalk.

On this forum there have been many CCNA first members that didn't get there foot in the door until they decided to get an A+. Most of the members I've seen get in quick started with the A+. The path is all yours though, I'm just giving my best advice to reach your current goal, getting back in to IT ASAP.
    I just really really don't want to do any desktop support at all at this point. And rather go into telecom over dealing with any desktop support again. From even cable technician to NOC's, or anything unrelated to desktop support would be my goal. But, what I'd be using a cert for is just to have a cert on my resume showing I'm going for goals and that I'm certified in something. If it has to be going back into desktop support again, sigh it'd beat what I'm doing now. A slave in retail since let go from HP internally diagnostics in a lab.

But doesn't xfer into field work. it was basically technical or higher end technical work. Even though it was on datacenter servers. You'd use HP Diags to test the servers and making sure the diags worked on new hardware, firmware, iLO, etc before it hit the manufacturing floor for them to test customer orders. Where they just press a button and it'd just run the diags for them. We''d make sure it'd work on the enterprise servers, blade servers is what I was on. But, it was basically running diags on them to make them fail hardware wise, to find if anything new would make the new release of HP Diags have any issues.
  • SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm looking at the mcsa right now, hope its worth it.

The Cisco certs have been great but I'm worried about going straight into the ccnp even though i know i won't have a problem with the material. Already studied ccnp material just not interested in taking the test because it really won't help me stand out, rather follow the Microsoft path right now and see where that takes me
    Have you searched job boards around Houston? Do they have these types of jobs posted? If so, look at what they are looking for, if there's certs mentioned go for them.

Every locale is a bit different, Houston might be loaded with entry level network positions looking for network+ ccent or ccna. If so, then you know what to study for.
    I've had friends not spend NEAR 800 dollars on CCNA, and studied via books and sims.
    I guess I'll put it blunt. Any cert on your resume is better then no cert. This meaning I was thinking on the CCENT and CCNA since the value of Cisco certs. But, if just getting a MCP and doing a windows 7 cert like the 680 that might work?
    daimon wrote: »
    I guess I'll put it blunt. Any cert on your resume is better then no cert. This meaning I was thinking on the CCENT and CCNA since the value of Cisco certs. But, if just getting a MCP and doing a windows 7 cert like the 680 that might work?

The ccna is a great cert to have it actually opens a lot of doors for you, just don't expect it to mean more than it does. They are great to have and can separate you a lot from other candidates but the truth is a lot of people have these type of certs. You have to be able to talk about this tech in an interview and explain what they expect you to know, i even had an interview where they wanted me to discuss the protocol header fields in depth etc..

Definetly go for it, a book and some videos is a great tool. Don't forget about some vm stuff to play with, packet tracer, gns3 are some great tools to use as well. boson is great if you want to pay a lot
    $800 is probably about average taking the 2 test route. That included:

- 2 Odom books, Lammle book = ~$150
    - 2 Boson tests = $200
    - 3 vouchers = $450

You could add in the 2x $100 pearson simulators but they didn't benefit me to pass the tests. I doubt many do it for < $400.

MCP windows 7 would be a good start, cheaper than A+ as well but it puts you on help desk or desktop support and you only have a few months to pass. A+ would fit your previous HP role very well, if you enjoyed it, cable tech's as well. A+ is very focused on hardware.
    $800 is probably about average taking the 2 test route. That included:

- 2 Odom books, Lammle book = ~$150
    - 2 Boson tests = $200
    - 3 vouchers = $450

You could add in the 2x $100 pearson simulators but they didn't benefit for me to pass the tests. I doubt many do it for < $400.

Yeah there is many ways of getting around paying for those books and sims on the internet.
    The ccna is a great cert to have it actually opens a lot of doors for you, just don't expect it to mean more than it does. They are great to have and can separate you a lot from other candidates but the truth is a lot of people have these type of certs. You have to be able to talk about this tech in an interview and explain what they expect you to know, i even had an interview where they wanted me to discuss the protocol header fields in depth etc..

Definetly go for it, a book and some videos is a great tool. Don't forget about some vm stuff to play with, packet tracer, gns3 are some great tools to use as well. boson is great if you want to pay a lot

What about a network+? See my friends are all in the IT field, and one is BS in CS, others are IT operations with CCNA, other works in a NOC with CCNA, CCNA security etc. But they all have VAST amount of experience before getting those certs over what I have.
    daimon wrote: »
    What about a network+? See my friends are all in the IT field, and one is BS in CS, others are IT operations with CCNA, other works in a NOC with CCNA, CCNA security etc. But they all have VAST amount of experience before getting those certs over what I have.

Sounds like you have some friends in IT, they could definitely help you out and get you in a position. Go through the certs, maybe find a help desk job and go from there. People have many different paths in the IT field, i can't be for sure one persons journey is the same as another. I spoke to someone with a ccna that was hired on the spot for a Sr. Network engineer position, it had more to do with his work ethic the location, and maybe a little luck, however that doesn't really happen that often, i think

I really like the cisco certs though, they teach you a lot and you can get in depth with the amount of knowledge you can pick up following the cisco path
    Sounds like you have some friends in IT, they could definitely help you out and get you in a position. Go through the certs, maybe find a help desk job and go from there. People have many different paths in the IT field, i can't be for sure one persons journey is the same as another. I spoke to someone with a ccna that was hired on the spot for a Sr. Network engineer position, it had more to do with his work ethic the location, and maybe a little luck, however that doesn't really happen that often, i think

I really like the cisco certs though, they teach you a lot and you can get in depth with the amount of knowledge you can pick up following the cisco path

Yeah, they are out of town now a days. But I think maybe grab a MCP (680 win7) then get a CCENT would be a better way or easier path back into the gig. I'd rather spend my time directly on CCENT IMO since, yeah it's cisco but it teaches you so much more. But Network+ might get you through the HR filter or MCP anyhow.
    That's it I'm just going to go deep into ICND1 CCENT since there is a giant gap between the two tests to require a CCNA. And grab a MCP later just to have microsoft on the resume. I don't even want to open a book on MS anything. And I figure a CCENT could even land a desktop support job or other misc IT jobs. And wouldn't take super long to accomplish
    I don't have CCNET but I studied for it in June for a month. I did the CBT nuggets videos and some Cisco training. But I think some hands on is the way to go to really get it. The lesson materials were only so so. I picked up the CCNET course by INE which has labs as well as lessons. That will be after CISSP for me I guess. I do want a networking cert to open up the job search in the future. Best of luck on your studies.qq
    I don't have CCNET but I studied for it in June for a month. I did the CBT nuggets videos and some Cisco training. But I think some hands on is the way to go to really get it. The lesson materials were only so so. I picked up the CCNET course by INE which has labs as well as lessons. That will be after CISSP for me I guess. I do want a networking cert to open up the job search in the future. Best of luck on your studies.qq

Yeah, I might have to get a mcp like 680 test to speed things up. Now looking forward faster. I have to get back in a better job then being stuck in retail work since my layoff. Or a network+. Never looked into a Network+ wonder if it's worth it.