Options

How can I reclaim my CCNA knowledge?

Muhammed HMuhammed H Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi! I did CCNA almost 2 years ago. Currently I am working as a System admin, mainly dealing with VMware, Netbackup and other Server related stuffs. In my 2.5 years IT career, I never really dealt with Switch/Router configuration in production environment. Nevertheless, CCNA is the cert that I really worked hard for and also have a plan of moving to USA next year, so hoping a CCNA level networking knowledge and my experience will help me to land a NOC type job from where I can start with.

Is doing lab with GNS3/Packet router and reviewing Todd Lammle book should be enough?

Comments

• Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    Just do what you did last time, you should just get through it quicker. I regularly have to go back and refresh on things I haven't done for a while, I generally just run through some labs and a little reading, the info is in there I just have to bring it back to the surface again :)
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Options
    Thanks man. I really don't wanna loose the knowledge I gained on the way of CCNA. By the way, you do the lab on live equipment or Packet tracer?
  • Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    Last time was on real equipment, You are going to have to renew in a year anyway aren't you?

I let mine expire after the second renewal
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Options
    Yes it will expire in a year or so. Now thinking if I go for renew or go for CCNP, but again, as I don't have any real life experience, so Probably will go for the CCNA renewal.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Could always grab another CCNA, like wireless or security for the renewal too
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Muhammed H wrote: »
    Hi! I did CCNA almost 2 years ago.

I think maybe you did the previous version of CCNA, so might be worth getting the current latest version courseware, the official cert guide maybe, and runninng through that. You can generally pick up the books and even lab manuals from the Cisco Academy course pretty cheap. PacketTracer is good enough for labbing. I think main difference is a bit more ipv6 stuff and some OSPFv3.

Might also be a good opportunity to get another CCNA cert. CCNA Security is the latest for a refresh, with the current expiring in November. Some say it is an 'easy' cert after CCNA R+S. If you have to recertify anyway, might as well take the chance to add some knowledge.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Watch some ccna vids, do labs, read key material.
    Get CCNA Sec or CCNA VoIP or something and re-certified
    meh
  • Options
    Yah, started watching CBT Nuggets videos, will start using GNS3 for lab and also looking for some real Cisco equipment to have some real hands on. However, instead of going for CCNA Sec or VoIP, how about going for CCNP routing or switching exam? I still have almost 9 months before my current CCNA expires, which should be enough to pass one of the CCNP R&S exams and that will recertify my CCNA as well as far as I know. After started watching CBT videos and going through some CCNA topics, I am pretty sure it wont take long to get those CCNA knowledge back.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can do that. Just remember the CCNP goes a good bit beyond the scope of the CCNA - so if your CCNA level skills are dusty you will have much more brushing up to do. Personally, I would shoot for one of the CCNP exams. I thinks 9 months is very reasonable to pass one, even if you have a lot of brushing up to do.
  • Options
    Yes, already started my journey.....watching CBTs, reading Todd's CCNA book also using Odom's CCNA book for some reference (specially for labs, I think Odom's book is better for lab ref and Todd's one is good for concepts), using PacketTracer for lab.

Anyway, agree with Mooseboost, 9 months should be good enough time for one CCNP exam.