Options

CCNA/CompTIA Security+ Jobs

Miky1574Miky1574 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am graduating in spring with my Associates in Network Technology. I have no prior experience in IT. I'll have 2 certifications by then. I am curious though. Once I graduate, without any prior working experience, what kind of position could I possibly apply for and get with my CCNA and CompTIA Security+ certs??

Comments

• Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not to be discouraging, but I wouldn't hire you for my security team unless nobody else applied. Security is one of those fields where you need to know at least a little about everything in IT and preferably a whole lot about everything in IT. This is because it touches on every field at least a little and gets in-depth with at least some fields (networking in particular) for some controls.

That said, it really depends on who is applying for the security job and what is required. If nobody else applies for my security opening but we really need to get some feet on the ground and you're willing to step up to the plate, then I might take a chance on you.

Again, don't be discouraged. Do a good job in your cover letter explaining you're aware of your weaknesses but feel really passionate about this area and are ready to work extra hard to make up for your experience weakness and would like for someone to give you an opportunity to shine
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    My attitude to Security+ is that it's a must have for all IT professionals, not so much that it's for IT Security people. So, it's good to have.
    I think probably you want /some/ formal OS skills, A+, Linux+, MCSA, MCP, RHCE, whatever. Then you'd be looking at junior roles, and working your way up, bumping up your certs along the way.

FWIW, small companies can often be more flexible about who they hire and the work you do, so can be good for getting broader experience that a bigger company might have the good sense not to let you do.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not to be discouraging, but
    blah blah blah

Dude,
    his question was simply: "what kind of position could I possibly apply for and get with my CCNA and CompTIA Security+ certs??".
    Did you actually answer his question?

Miky,
    for my two cents:
    With ZERO experience, consider starting at a Helpdesk.
    Perhaps you can use Network monitoring tools, or maybe work as a Desktop Tech.

Work your way up to supporting Network infrastructure, or Servers, etc.
    Through on-the-job Experience, you will build a nice Foundation... and then you can move to something more security related.

Just my thoughts :]
  • Options
    Miky1574Miky1574 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Okay awesome. Thank you.