Options

Returning back to IT work (in UK) after 12+ years out

boliviabboliviab Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone , my first post here and looking for a bit of advice / some suggestions.
I used to work in IT - mostly IT Support looking after networks, windows, linux, cisco and was at a mid management level having about 7 or 8 years experience.I had MCSE, CCNA and very cutting edge experience as worked in R and D for a mobile phone company but I got bored with the corporate environment I was in and decided to go off traveling. I never returned and am still overseas in South America but am looking to return next year (prob around august) to UK and am exploring the possibilities of returning to work in IT. I haven't entirely been out of the scene though as I own a successful online business that I entirely developed, support and admin and we have sales of over 1 million USD per year. I also own physical travel agencies and have always supported all the IT for them and I also developed our own MIS using groovy/grails. Additionally I have been studying for an online degree in IT (which I started just out of interest 2 years ago) so have developed some additional skills like Java programming.

So my question is - as I feel I need to show that my skills are up to date what would the best certs be to get to return to the job market in the UK? What are most in demand. What are the hottest areas to aim to get into. I was thinking of aiming to do a general update but focus on cloud based technologies as it is something that interests me.

I am currently studying AWS certs and also ITIL foundation and am also considering getting a new CCNA and latest MCSE to show ive updated (i understand the MCSE seems very different now). Whilst I would like to do something with the Java and programming area as I have no real working experience in this area I think it only low level jobs would be possible and it would be harder for someone 40+ years to get a junior programming role (id be ok with that as I have income from my business anyway)

I know its a bit vague but hopefully someone can provide some pointers to help me focus my study time. I will only be self studying as I prefer that anyway but also there is no quality training where I am.

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA, MCSA, VCP as a minimum for you. If you are feeling ambitious and up for a challenge go for CCNP or all 5 for the MCSE.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    boliviab wrote: »
    .. I own a successful online business that I entirely developed, support and admin and we have sales of over 1 million USD per year. I also own physical travel agencies...

Why do you want to be an IT employee again?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Why do you want to be an IT employee again?

Exactly my question too. Why not focus your energy in expanding your business instead working for someone else in IT?
  • Options
    someperson49someperson49 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think most people would give up their IT jobs to have what you have...
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think most people would give up their IT jobs to have what you have...

Yes. Yes I would,
  • Options
    boliviabboliviab Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sorry for late reply to the answers - i never got notified so thought there where no answers (guess I hadnt subscribed and presumed it automatic).

CCNA, MCSA (in fact MCSE but MCSA is first step of course) were two I had on my list along with ITIL , AWS and RHCSE. I will look info VCP also thanks for the advice

Why do I want to be an IT employee again ? Good question with a few answers really. I like to work in IT - and I think I will be mostly able to manage the business remotely AND work in IT - I dont want do a job that I find boring though like a basic desktop support , but something were I will learn and be challenged. I might find it too much to do both , i might not but that is no reason to not plan ahead and prepare with certs.
    Other reasons include the fact that the business might well drop off if I am not located in South America and at least if I am working then financially I am not in a bad position. Another answer is that my income is from an overseas business so this can effect my status in the UK (i need to look into this part properly) and the ability for my wife to get a visa as she is not british. Ie i have to be earning a certain amount of money per year in order for her to get a residency visa and my overseas income might be difficult to be used in the calculation. I will be trying to find an accountant soon to get proper advice on all that side with regards income declaration, restructuring etc.