Options

Need career advise for networking jobs !!!!!!!

pr0digy09pr0digy09 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi guys,

All the jobs i had so far was as a software developer (mostly programming in Java, and some web development stuff), but i'm now interested in networking more than anything and looking a career path that can help me get at least 100k+ (USD) .Currently I'm working as a ColdFusion developer and would love to change my career into networking related job ASAP! ,I'm also open to do any certification that i must to achieve this...
i'm 27 years old and my progress so-far is as follows:

1)Bachelor's in computer science
2)Comptia certified A+ IT technician
3)Comptia certified Network+
4)Comptia certified Security+
5)Cisco Certified Network Associate

please recommend me a career path or any other certification that can help me progress in the right direction or a job/position that i should look for.
THANKS

Comments

• Options
    cms819cms819 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCNP, and CNNA security would be useful certs in the networking field.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Knowing Java will definitely help. You can do some nice scripts on it.
    I would say go for CCNA and then maybe a Linux certification. It would complement your network + developing skills a lot.
    And fish for jobs, try low admin level jobs or NOC jobs. Get experience, study, work hard, move up.
    meh
  • Options
    Already got CCNA, I'm a little confused about going towards CCNP or towards virtualization (VMWare related certs), which one do you think would be more profitable? :)
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    If you want to learn VMWare start to branch towards the CCNA Data Center.

Get a job in a DC or NOC and get some network experience and then look into VMWare courses. Automation will help greatly there (Not saying it wont in R&S environments as it does there also).

Step 1 - Get a network job since you have your CCNA (NOC, Jr Net Engineer, Etc).
    Step 2 - Get some experience and build your skills.
    Step 3 - Work on higher end certs while doing steps 1 and 2.
    Step 4 - Build towards that six figure goal
  • Options
    thanks kohr-ah , I'll do exactly that icon_cheers.gif