Options

Thoughts? WGU MSISA Degree & CISSP at the same time?

roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
Has anyone been in the WGU MSISA program and studied for CISSP in parallel? I'm all set to get in to WGU and they keep calling me to finalize everything and submit payment to get going by Oct 1. But another goal of mine is CISSP and ideally before 2016.

Is it pretty crazy to think I could begin this coursework and do the required work, while also knocking out studies for CISSP? I dont want to get in over my head. The reason for the push for CISSP is that I think it will have the biggest upward push for my career in Cyber Security and can be achieved faster than the masters. But perhaps the course load is to heavy to do both.

I could put CISSP off and just start WGU as this program follows the CISSP domains, but that pushes CISSP out for 18 months to 2 years. Maybe I should just focus on finishing this year strong with CISSP by end of year, then look to start WGU fresh in 2016.

Thoughts or advice for anyone who's been through either program (CISSP / MSISA)? Thanks.
浪人 MSISA:WGU
ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP

Comments

• Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    get the CISSP first, do as much as you possible can to pass the test as quickly as possible while doing the minimal amount of work at WGU to maintain your progress. If you can pass the CISSP I'd bet you could knock out a few of those classes within a month or two if you don't want to pay another 6 months. Just don't wait until you have a week or two left in the semester to start working on a class. You'll get eaten up by task stream assessment holdups .
  • Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. I've begun CISSP studies. But MSISA will start 10.01. I'm going to take courses that align best w/ CISSP so the study time is complementary.
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • Options
    There will certainly be overlapping/complimentary information. Best of luck with both endeavors.