Options

Switching To I.T (Network Engineering)

6thSens36thSens3 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
So, Ive been working at food lion every since I graduated high school about 2 years ago and Im ready for a career change into I.T specifically the Networking Aspect.

I will be attending a community college in which I can transfer to a University in 1 year (1.5 years because I have to take remedial math). I do have a genuine interest in I.T I have since I was about 7.

It is a Bachelor of Science in Computer & Information Technology, I will be concentrating in Networking(http://www.ecu.edu/cs-tecs/techsystems/ict.cfm)

But I have a few questions:
How is the job market for I.T these days?

How do I ensure I get a Network Engineering career once Im done with the program and have all of the necessary certifications and experience?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    6thSens3 wrote: »
    How do I ensure I get a Network Engineering career once Im done with the program and have all of the necessary certifications and experience?

You already summed it up! Degrees help, certs help, experience definitely helps. Add in a good resume and the ability to sell yourself and you're golden.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would recommend trying to get an internship with a company you would want to work for your junior or senior year too. Also, I would look into whether the university you plan on transferring to accepts CLEP tests. CLEPs are a good way of knocking out a bunch of lower level courses.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try to network yourself with people. As one person mention try internships and go to school job fairs. Get your certs while you in school and try to research IT job roles to see what specializations are available and what is the job outlook. The outlook for IT is great for those who are qualified. My best advise is to never stay in one position for too long and always try to acquire new skills. A lot of people look at IT job qualifications and say its too much how will I get the experience required. The key is as I mention before once you get in try to keep it moving.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IT can be a little more difficult to jump into than a lot of careers, but you seem to have the right mindset What about networking interests you the most?
  • Options
    6thSens36thSens3 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    IT can be a little more difficult to jump into than a lot of careers, but you seem to have the right mindset What about networking interests you the most?

What interests me the most is installation, trouble-shooting, security.