Options

Is CCNA the ticket for the networking job?

MicroScoMicroSco Member Posts: 18 ■■□□□□□□□□
Moving to Queens (NYC) in December.

Experience: Almost 3 years. One year with desktop/end user support. Two years with windows servers and VMWARE in a Corporate Data Center. But ultimate goal is to squeeze in to networking world. Already passed CCNA: R&S but never got the chance to touch any freakin CISCO devices that I always wanted to.

Any suggestions? icon_cry.gif

Comments

• Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My suggestion is to get whatever job you can while staying in the industry. Make your move into networking while you can pay the bills. I wouldn't progress any further with networking certifications if you have the CCNA until you have some hands-on. That being said, apply for entry level positions in networking, if you can make that your job when you get there as well as your first networking job, then good on you. I would just really stress that you should take what you can get when you get there, whether it's networking or you have to go back into desktop support or servers and VMWare. Good luck!

PS, why are you moving?
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your suggestions. Yes, this is something I'm probably gonna do. By the way, moving there coz weather in Buffalo simply horrible and many of my friends who used to live with me there have already moved somewhere else.
  • Options
    Weather is a big reason my family is considering moving south from PA. We are looking at the triangle area in NC. The biggest reason we want to move, though, is for our kids' opportunities when they are out of school.
  • Options
    Well my only kid is just 10 months old now, so don't need to think that much for her right now. Yet, Buffalo surely ain't the best place to live in terms of weather, job opportunities etc. People I used to know already moved to city areas and some of my mates in NYC said with certs, and experience I have, should be fine to land something where I can start. Let's see what NY has to offer me. By the, u working in Network or System domain?
  • Options
    Networking and VoIP. Some security. I work for a Cisco VAR.
  • Options
    echo_time_catecho_time_cat Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MicroSco wrote: »

never got the chance to touch any freakin CISCO devices that I always wanted to.

Any suggestions? icon_cry.gif

Setup a home lab so you could keep your skills sharp for interviews?