Options

HOW

dleathersdleathers Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I hate to sound like a big cry baby. But I can not seem to find a way to study of this test. Every method that I try just seems wrong. I have the window training kit and sybex book and transcenders internet course plus the questions from transcenders. Have two or three PC's at home that I can use to study.

I start to read the book and my eyes just glaze over. I don't know what approach to use. Not that I don't like the subject I do. The medthods that I have tried just don't feel righ for some reason.

Anyone elese have problems dealing with this.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    certificationjourney [bancertificationjourney [ban Inactive Imported Users Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you tried videos like CBT nuggets etc?... I find that videos are more efficient for me. I lose my concentration when I use books. I still use books though. Do you have a tech job?
  • Options
    zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    perhaps you could start by telling us about your background regarding IT and we could help you better gage where you at. Everyone has a different way of studying for the materials. I for one would setup Windows Server 2003 along with Windows XP on Virtual PC on my laptop (which I would say is enough to learn for this XP exam.). As I read the MS Press book, I would follow the exercises given and read the review. On top of that, each topic that I have read on MS Press book, I would also read it on the Sybex book to fill in any gap that MS Press hasn't mentioned. Both books are good, but do not covered all the points on the test. If you feel that the book is too technical or too much to read, then you should find other books that could explain the difficulties you're having. Nobody said you have to stick with just one book; the more sources you have to help you better understand the materials, the easier it will be to roll over the hurdle. Just take one step at a time. The most important thing I would suggest to get a handle on this difficulty is to set a schedule on your study as well as a time limit to finish reading the book. Good luck on your study.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • Options
    dleathersdleathers Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Guess I'll go the book route. I'm installing win 2003 server on one pc now and will install xp on the other as I go through that chapter.

What do I need to set up on the server ? Just install the software and run dcpromo to make it a server. Are there instructions any where about how the server should be setup ?

Thanks
  • Options
    zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    Depends on what you are going to do with your server. If you are studying on RIS, automatic installation, or permission over network, then you might want to setup Active Directory, DNS, and DHCP, and/or RIS server. I would recommend getting Sybex Mastering Windows Server 2003 by Mark Minasi (Excellent book for reference and guide) to guide you with the procedure, or get the MS Press 70-290 Windows Server book if you are going to get that exam later. For an inexpensive route, go to MS Technet for all the info you need.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • Options
    hill1221hill1221 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used TESTOUT and passed with 936.

:D
    I make technology work for people, not people work for technology!