Options

Offered Security Consultant Position

broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey Everyone,

Starting out with my current company thinking I would be a lifer because the environment was great with plenty of opportunity for advancement. I've been here for about 4 years (first job out of college) and have taken many different roles and was most recently promoted to an ISSO.

Well, earlier this summer I applied for a consultant position with GE not thinking much of it. They came back with an offer today that was 44% more than I make now. Safe to say I'm pretty excited because of the robust benefits package, bonus structure, and the number of systems that I'll have exposure to. Best of all it is a work from home position although it has 25-50% travel. I told the recruiter that I would think about it tonight and get back to him tomorrow. I'll most likely counter and try to add to my base because of the lack of sign on bonus and loss of profit sharing this year from leaving my current company.

I think I'll like the consultant lifestyle but we'll see.

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That sounds awesome. It sounds like a nice new job. Travel may be tough but it sounds like you would be exposed to lots of different problems at different companies - that type of experience is invaluable. Personally, I wouldn't even bother countering given that the base compensation is higher. Don't forget to signup for a frequent flyer and hotel program icon_smile.gif That could be a nice perk too.
  • Options
    Thanks. They did come in at the low end of the range I gave them and I do want to move back closer to home so the counter is really to offset those costs along with the ones I listed above. I am really excited as the majority of my work will be focused on securing control systems.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This makes me jealous, I'd love a position like that. I'll be where I'm at for a while building up more security experience and eventually try to move over to ICS, then go for the consulting type of jobs as well.
  • Options
    Yep, control systems are definitely a different animal than traditional IT environments.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats Broli, I do ISSO/M work as well. What does the new gig do?
  • Options
    Thanks. I'll be a consultant for supporting various companies on industrial control system design and security posture. Pretty much doing audits and telling them were their gaps are while following a few frameworks. I think I'll also be more entrenched on the networking side of things as well. Perfect opportunity for me to pursue my CCNP.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    That sounds great, I would be all over that in a heart beat. You should take it!
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratsicon_thumright.gif
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did you make a counter offer? If so, did they respond?
  • Options
    I'm on the east coast and the recruiter is in California. I'll make the counter tonight and let you guys know.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    good work and congrats! excellent position :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Heard from the recruiter earlier today. They didn't budget on salary, but did provide a sign on bonus. I'll be starting next month!
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats broli720 that sign on bonus should be nice!!!.....wish you all the Best man.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats on your new job.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on your new role!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Signed my offer letter last week and put my two weeks notice in today. I start on October 26th so I have a good 2 weeks off to relax. Always scary leaving your first job, but you can't stop progress.
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations and Good Luck with the new job!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"