Options

SANS Master degree?

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
I know this has been brought up in the past, but I think it has been awhile. Has anyone actually enrolled in the SANS Master degree program(s)?

I had just casually looked before, but i started looking pretty in-depth, and man, that looks pretty amazing. However it's crazy expensive, it is accredited now, but my company Tuition Reimbursement is a pretty standard $5,250 and that wouldn't make a dent in it.

i then looked at the Graduate Certificate program, also crazy expensive, but only 12 credit hours. 5 grand per class, I thought I could tack it on at the end of this year, and get the first 10k knocked out by Tuition Reimbursement, but my work apparently doesn't cover graduate certificates.

So... has anyone enrolled or completed? and if so, how did you pay for it? and, is it as amazing as it sounds?
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm very interested in the program but my journey may be coming to and end. I started looking deeper into my employer's tuition reimbursement and is basically unlimited (taxed as income after $5,250) but the problem is they won't pay for duplicate degrees. Since I have the MSISA, the SANS masters would be a no-go. Right now it seems my only option is a doctorate program.

Still looking forward to hear from anyone who is in the program.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've looked into it, but decided I am going to Fordham University for my Masters in CyberSecurity. After looking at NYU and Columbia (both ridiculously expensive as well) It will cost roughly $32,000 for one year at Fordham, it is an actual campus with some coursework online, hands on projects, etc. SANS is way too expensive, and for the money you would pay there you can get the same elsewhere for a less price. You have to do what is affordable for you. I plan on taking out a student loan.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    danny069 wrote: »
    SANS is way too expensive, and for the money you would pay there you can get the same elsewhere for a less price.

Serious question, not being rude, SANS is pretty well respected, do you really think education-wise you would get the same from a regular university? I know you can get a degree that will most likely be more respected, but actual course material wise, SANS stuff looked pretty strong
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    My question about the degree: will the classes contain a voucher to take the relevant cert? does the tuition include that?
    Otherwise, for that money, you can take 7-8 certs culminating in the GSE.
    WGU MSISA plus CISSP and GSE will be a golden ticket, no?

From perusing the list of graduates, I saw one whom I worked around. He's an Army Lieutenant Colonel, likely promoted to COL now. He was crazy smart but had that nerd attitude about interpersonal interactions. So ya, I'm sure it helps if one can afford it. My post 9/11 GI Bill would only cover half of it, I think.
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    Serious question, not being rude, SANS is pretty well respected, do you really think education-wise you would get the same from a regular university? I know you can get a degree that will most likely be more respected, but actual course material wise, SANS stuff looked pretty strong

Yes of course SANS is good, but they are overpriced, period.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know that user Robicus is currently enrolled in the program and pursuing the degree. Might be worth shooting him a PM to see what he thinks so far.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Think of it this way, as a government employee you could attend Carnegie Mellon University for literally only $5000 more then it costs to go to SANS. No doubt that SANS certifications are respected, but honestly I don't for see any employer truly understanding the idea of SANS University. Doesn't mean the education is bad, but employers would probably know the certs and not the degree. Personally, I wouldn't waste all that money on a school that doesn't warrant the price based on the name.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ^ Exactly Grinch
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Think of it this way, as a government employee you could attend Carnegie Mellon University for literally only $5000 more then it costs to go to SANS. No doubt that SANS certifications are respected, but honestly I don't for see any employer truly understanding the idea of SANS University. Doesn't mean the education is bad, but employers would probably know the certs and not the degree. Personally, I wouldn't waste all that money on a school that doesn't warrant the price based on the name.

This was the position I found myself in. I'll admit that the SANS program was pretty appealing, but I wound up passing on it for a variety of reasons... Namely, that I could probably get my employer to pay for the equivalent certs over a given period of years rather than blowing my GI Bill benefit on a program that wouldn't have the name behind it.

And, as a matter of fact, I just started the Carnegie Mellon program last month :)
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    This was the position I found myself in. I'll admit that the SANS program was pretty appealing, but I wound up passing on it for a variety of reasons... Namely, that I could probably get my employer to pay for the equivalent certs over a given period of years rather than blowing my GI Bill benefit on a program that wouldn't have the name behind it.

And, as a matter of fact, I just started the Carnegie Mellon program last month :)

Aaaaaand I'm now favoriting your profile haha. I'm actually really interested in their program. Be sure to share some info once you've taken a few classes! icon_thumright.gif
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with most of the others, SANS has great training, well regarded certs by people who know what they are. But, with that said I wouldn't drop almost 50K on an MS degree from there when almost no one even knows what that is. Always consider the ROI.
  • Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I looked a bit at SANS. Insane prices. With cyber being such a hot topic and in such demand, the gov should be throwing money at us to get people qualified for all the demand to fill. Now, a PhD in IT doesnt sound too cool, but a PhD in Cyber Security, that sounds awesome. I know, word choice. But I may even consider a doctorate program after WGU if I'm not totally burnt out by then.
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    dragonsden wrote: »
    ...a PhD in IT doesnt sound too cool, but a PhD in Cyber Security, that sounds awesome. I know, word choice. ...

I can only see a Doctorate useful if and only if you want to do academic research. a PhD is an apprentice for academic research and nothing else. You won't learn more about IT or cyber security, you will (and should) get an apprentice on how to do a scientific research and publish papers.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm hoping to keep racking up SANS certs keeping in mind if they count toward their Masters program, then eventually going for what's leftover. I'm currently working on my MBA so a Masters in Engineering would complement that well.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    dragonsden wrote: »
    I looked a bit at SANS. Insane prices. With cyber being such a hot topic and in such demand, the gov should be throwing money at us to get people qualified for all the demand to fill.

They actually do. There's quite a few programs in effect to increase the IT security workforce. Look up Scholarship for Service (Provides a full ride scholarship for Master's or Bachelor's to top quality schools along with a salary and a guaranteed position after graduation).

There's also NICE (The National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education) and NICCS (National Initiative for Cybersecurity Careers and Studies). There's the Secretary Honor's Program which includes post-educational training via Emerging Leaders in Cybersecurity Fellowship (Master's) and Cyber Honors (Bachelors) program. I'm sure there is even more that I'm unaware of.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    aderon wrote: »
    There's also NICE (The National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education) and NICCS (National Initiative for Cybersecurity Careers and Studies). There's the Secretary Honor's Program which includes post-educational training via Emerging Leaders in Cybersecurity Fellowship (Master's) and Cyber Honors (Bachelors) program. I'm sure there is even more that I'm unaware of.

Huh, had no idea about the Emerging Leaders in Cybersecurity Fellowship.

To add one more to the post-educational training list, there's the Presidential Management Fellows: STEM program.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow