Options

Carreer advancement or lower position for the money?

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
In any other case I would not even consider this but I was approached by a recruiter for a position that offers 30k+bonus more than my current position. That would take me over the 100k mark.
The thing is, this position is a junior analyst position whereas now I am at a lead GRC position. My goal was to steadily improve my experience and odds to moving to a management type position. But the 30k+ bonus I don't think is easy to ignore. The other thing is that I'm just over 7 months with my current employer and never before have I considered to leave a position after such a short stint. Again, the 30k+bonus is not something to ignore.

The only plus of this position is that i will not be driving to work but taking mass transit instead, benefits are similiar and the work environment is very casual, but I would have to go back into an operational type role.

Any advice? Would you leave a position just for the money to go to a somewhat lesser position? I am already at a Senior level for this role but they want to give me junior but with more money. I don't know why but that's what they offer.

I have asked the same question to one of my siblings and they adviced even though the money is more I shouldn't do it just for the money.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    almost a 50% bump in pay? yep, I'd be all over it. Sounds like the salary ceiling would be a lot higher at the new company for when you move up there as well...

Money isn't everything, but that is healthy increase! When I think about my career long term, I want work in a field I enjoy and what is going to best provide for my family.

Since your already a senior level at your current company I can't imagine there is too much room to go up. Maybe you do, I have no idea. But if you can get a huge pay increase and move into a new company where you have a lot of room to go up still, sounds like a good oppurtunity to me.

All depends on your long term goals though, maybe you don't want to be in that kind of position forever? There are also a bunch of other factors you would need to take in considerations about moving to another company. Will definitely depend on your goals.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Go with what your gut says. Will you be happy in that position in 6 months? Will you learn more? Is there room for growth at your present company?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bonus usually is not a guarantee and the way it's taxed, it's not as much as a raise as you're thinking. A 30k bump in salary is a lot more money than a 30k bonus at the end of the year.
  • Options
    ahhh I read "30k+bonus" as a 30k salary bump, plus an extra bonus on top... hurricane has a good point if it is just a bonus icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    2 different jobs. What do you want to be when you grow up? Don't worry about the money, it will come with time.

I personally get tired of GRC roles after about 6 solid months. I need tech work to keep me interested in IT.
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can you compare the size of the companies? This maybe a situation where you are a senior being a large fish in a small pond but the Junior position with higher pay may be a case of small fish in a big pond.
  • Options
    Hammer80 wrote: »
    Can you compare the size of the companies? This maybe a situation where you are a senior being a large fish in a small pond but the Junior position with higher pay may be a case of small fish in a big pond.

This is exactly the case. My current company is very small, maybe 2-3 billion market cap operating in 2 states, other comapny is a multinational, hedge fund managing 250 billion in assets.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    so wait...is it $30K plus bonus more, or is it $30K+ bonus more?

and I would think the bigger firm has more room for growth in terms of GRC. Maybe the role is for a specific group/dept, and not firm wide...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    It's a 30k increase in salary and an extra bonus. No idea how much, I'm only going by the salary range which is 110-120. Looking at the company, they have to deal with more regulations and have locations worldwide. Not sure why they would give that kinda money for an operational role though. Unless they want someone with crazy amount of experience. Well i said ok for a phone interview so got nothing to lose.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it's somewhere you plan on sticking with for a long time or they have tons of opportunities, then I'd probably go with the higher paying job if all other things were equal. If you still haven't hit your goal position yet and your current position will get you there better, then I'd stick with that. It really depends on which one correlates better with your long term goals.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Definitely do the interview, though it would be nice if you could see where you would be working at and if the environment is for you. Is there the potential to learn new technology/concepts that could help you progress your career? 30k salary increase is crazy... personally, I would be all over this like white on rice on paper plate in a snowstorm.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    It's a 30k increase in salary and an extra bonus. No idea how much, I'm only going by the salary range which is 110-120. Looking at the company, they have to deal with more regulations and have locations worldwide. Not sure why they would give that kinda money for an operational role though. Unless they want someone with crazy amount of experience. Well i said ok for a phone interview so got nothing to lose.

yeah, i'd definitely look closely @ the role then. 30K jump in base is great, and bonuses at hedge funds aren't bad...depending on if the company is doing well or not...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    echo_time_catecho_time_cat Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    That would take me over the 100k mark...
    The thing is, this position is a junior analyst position whereas now I am at a lead GRC position.

Just imagine your salary when you move up to become a Sr. Analyst.
  • Options
    Just imagine your salary when you move up to become a Sr. Analyst.

Thats what I was thinking as well. Guessing that might be pushing double his current salary.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    30k+ salary and then a bonus on top changes the game completely. It's all about the money and it's always been about the money. Still need to like what you do though.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    30k all day
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    Jr or Sr no matter in my mind. That company might provide the latitude to excel further and allow you to rise. If you're good at your current post, you can succeed at the other, especially with 30k as a salary boost.
    We all know that titles vary by companies mostly anyway.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it matches my long-term goals and career interests a 20-30k salary increase I would jump all over. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    I have confirmed a phone screening interview for next week. I'll just do it and see how far I can go. I have a mortgage to pay so money is somewhat important plus, it's not easy getting in on hedge funds.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck on the interview. IMO - I also would take any opportunity to hear things out. It's really too premature to consider if you want to stay or go - until you actually speak with the prospective employer and until you get an actual offer.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My suggestion.

Wait until you have an offer or are close to one before putting a ton of thought into it. By then you should have gone through the interview process, have asked all the questions about the job and addressed your concerns WITH THEM. Tell them about your career goals and ASK how this role will help you get there or get closer to other roles that will further your career.

At that point, once you have the offer you should know whether it is worth it. But until then, dont stress it too much. Recruiters like to dangle numbers sometimes to get people to the phone screen and then when it gets down to it, your offer isnt near there. So, definitely take the interview and go through the process and once you get the offer that is 30k more salary and has a bonus, i think you will know the answer to your questions.

Good luck!
  • Options
    FritzGFritzG Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Think of it like this ...

1) an open position that required the company to go to a third party recruiter to fill because current employees don't want to or aren't capable of moving up into the role ... and those same employees don't know anyone they could recommend for the job.

2) a recruiter who knows my current salary, skill set and job role thought I would be a good fit to make the jump (from a smaller company to a larger one and into an operational role from a GRC role) after just 7 months at my current place of employment

Just those two facts alone would put me on high alert for this opportunity to be a hard to fill and/or undesirable position.

Having been the 2nd grunt in command of a 4 person team at a small stock plan management company (and making loose change compared to my friends) I landed a gig at a multi-national corporation making over $100k a year with 5 digit bonuses through a recruiter, so the jump is possible. However, that was as a hands -on operational leader to the same type of role at a bigger company.

Another experience I had was a high level recruiting company (C-level recruiting only) contacted me to interview for a jump to a CIO position from the director level position I was in (niche type of company meant pool of candidates was limited so it was too unbelievable that they reached out to me). However, after going through the process, evaluating the opportunity and determining the motives of the recruiter, I turned down the position. The (very capable) person who took the job after I turned it down was let go 13 months after they started. The environment was poison.

I definitely subscribe to the adage of things that are too good to be true ... just aren't. Still, as everyone else has stated, definitely go for the interview/experience. No harm in hearing people out, doing your own evaluation and deciding what you think is best for you and your family.

Good luck and I for one would like hear what ends up happening!

Fritz
  • Options
    Matt2Matt2 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do whichever matches your goals. That said only spending 7 months at current position seems low.

A question I haven't seen asked is this. Do you have to relocate for the higher paying position? 100k a year isn't a lot in some cities. If not relocating then I do see the benefits of such a big pay increase. :)
  • Options
    Very anti climatic ending. They cancelled my interview, they found someone. We move on.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bummer... Better luck next time...
  • Options
    FritzGFritzG Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anti-climactic indeed. Thanks for the update.
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welp, that decision was made for you! But now you should be clearer on exactly what you're looking for so you'll be ready for the next opportunity!
    icon_lol.gif
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever