Options

Stay Full Time of go Part Time?

BigRocBigRoc Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

My current job is not IT related and I am working full time while going to school full time as well. I am starting to have problems with with my studies because of the hours I work (2am-12pm). I am thinking about going part time for the remainder of my degree, in which case I will lose out on my vacation time, sick time, and most likely insurance as I wouldn't work 30 hours a week.

Going part time will give me plenty of time to study and actually learn the material and make good grades as well. I will also feel better because I will be working normal hours again and be able to make my own schedule. The only thing that is holding me back is losing the benefits. But at the same time I would only lose out for a year to 18 months. By then I will most likely be looking for a job/career with a different company and have to start over on my vacation time, etc.

What would you all do?

Comments

• Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    This all depends on whether or not you are supporting a family and if you can pay your bills. Also your age comes into account.

If you are under 26, you can be under your parents insurance while in school. If you live with your parents and pay no bills then discuss the matter with them and go part-time.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    are you a part-time(less than 12 credits/term) or full-time(12+ creds/term) student? if you're full-time, then have you given thought to making that part-time, while you continue working full-time?
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)