Options

Network Cabling Internship what to expect?

rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello members, my school is recruiting networking students for network cabling Internship at Levis Stsdium for Super Bowl 50. Since I am new to the IT field, I was wondering what should I be expecting as in daily job duties? My work title is "helper". I also would like to know if this would benefit me in networking? My main goal is to become a network engineer.

More info of company project:Connect Your World through C&R Communications - About Aruba Networks

Thanks!
WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What were the job duties listed when you got the internship?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    What were the job duties listed when you got the internship?
    Sorry this is what I got:
    CNR is recruiting for the following positions to install 200,000 feet of cable/structured wiring for NFL Superbowl project at Levi Stadium.
    1) Helper (entry position, training available) - pulling cable, moving equipment and cables, working and assisting others, additional duties as assigned, ability to take direction. Pay: $12 to $14/hour
    2) Cabling Installer (minimum 2 years experience) - pulling and running cable cat5/cat6, routers and switches, networking. *Must have own tools. Pay: $12 to $20/hour
    3) Lead Installer (minimum 5 years experience) - experience supervising others, pulling and running cable cat5/cat6, troubleshooting, routers and switches, configuration of registers, networking, VOIP. *Must have own tools. Pay: $25 to $30/hour

I;ve got no experience whatsoever in cabling....
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    It will be a very physical job. Carry boxes, move ladders. Maybe go on lifts. You may not learn a lot but you will meet some people and start to build a resume and gather a reference or two. Its just the first step on the ladder.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Kinda did the same thing when I was involved with the call center roll out.
    Hopefully they'll let you to rack some stuff. You should ask if you can do that. If they won't let you, then tell them you'll volunteer.

Make sure you wear comfortable shoes. If you have a problem with heights, just go and do it don't think about it. I had a problem with climbing a latter... first time that I had to do it at work, I was a little worried but I went up there and did it.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Russell77 wrote: »
    It will be a very physical job. Carry boxes, move ladders. Maybe go on lifts. You may not learn a lot but you will meet some people and start to build a resume and gather a reference or two. Its just the first step on the ladder.
    I'm a skinny guy and I'm afraid of ladders. I hope it won't be as physical as everyone states. This is my first "IT" experience or exposure so I hope this will be a stepping stone for the neXT step. I'm currently working on my CCNA which I should achieve by December.
  • Options
    Kinda did the same thing when I was involved with the call center roll out.
    Hopefully they'll let you to rack some stuff. You should ask if you can do that. If they won't let you, then tell them you'll volunteer.

Make sure you wear comfortable shoes. If you have a problem with heights, just go and do it don't think about it. I had a problem with climbing a latter... first time that I had to do it at work, I was a little worried but I went up there and did it.

I just hope it's not too high but I'm pretty sure it will considering we will be at a stadium.