Options

HCISPP Study materials

jonwinterburnjonwinterburn Member Posts: 161 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all,

Due to a new security role within a healthcare provider, I've begun study for HCISPP from ISC2, to complement my CISSP and help me gain a deeper understanding of the industry.

I'm currently reading this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Healthcare-Information-Security-Privacy-All-/dp/0071831797 and have watched the free webcasts here: Free HCISPP Webcast. I've also completed a couple smaller certs in healthcare IT/security, which focus on HIPAA and HITECH.

Has anyone here taken and passed the exam? If so, any suggestions for additional study materials? I've purposely avoided the official green book, as I find ISC2's books to be poor. ISC2 don't seem to have any official test questions available.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jon

Comments

• Options
    CBMiller18CBMiller18 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Jon,
    I only used the official ISC2 green book and passed in April 2015 (one month after passing the CISSP). Best of luck!
  • Options
    Congratulations! What did you think of the ISC2 green book? Is it as bad as the CISSP book was?
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i might pursue this at some point
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I wouldn't bother with the official exam guide. I used the book you are reading as my primary source and it covered all the domains better than the official guide. Also, if you have any questions on a certain subject take a look at some of the Clearwater Compliance videos on Youtube.

WGU grad
  • Options
    I wouldn't bother with the official exam guide. I used the book you are reading as my primary source and it covered all the domains better than the official guide. Also, if you have any questions on a certain subject take a look at some of the Clearwater Compliance videos on Youtube.

Thanks, much appreciated!
  • Options
    CBMiller18CBMiller18 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! The ISC2 green book for HCISPP is not that great, it repeats itself several times in different sections. However, at the time, that was all I had to study. Obviously, it worked for me, though. Best of luck!
  • Options
    daristotledaristotle Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would you suggest the HCISPP without first going through CISPP? Would I need to refer back to the basic CISPP material? I work in Healthcare IT, but not in a security role. I'm interested in the HCISPP to compliment my work though.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    tjr31tjr31 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For those who passed did you attend isc2 virtual training and what other materials did you use to pass.
  • Options
    rwinkler1rwinkler1 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It seems there really isn't a lot of resources out there for this exam. I've only managed to find 3 books:

[h=2]Official (ISC)2 Guide to the HCISPP CBK[/h]
    [h=2]HCISPP Study Guide by Timothy Virtue and Justin Rainey[/h]
    [h=2]Healthcare Information Security and Privacy by Sean Murphy[/h]

I haven't heard much about the HCISSP Study Guide from anyone except for the 3 reviews on Amazon. I really wish there was a bank of sample questions to study in addition to the 10 questions at the end of each chapter in the CBK.
  • Options
    teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ...I've also completed a couple smaller certs in healthcare IT/security, which focus on HIPAA and HITECH....

What are these "smaller certs in healthcare IT/security"?

Also, anyone suggest the best training for this or other healthcare IT/security certs? I just changed jobs and am new to the healthcare industry and am in desperate need of CPE. Any suggestions on CPE training camps will be much appreciated. I was looking into ISC2 HCISSP training camps, but the soonest available isn't in time for my CPE deadline.
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D
  • Options
    teancum144 wrote: »
    What are these "smaller certs in healthcare IT/security"?

I did this course and got 4Med approved: https://www.udemy.com/certified-healthcare-it-professional-chtp

I also did 2 courses internal to my organisation.
  • Options
    scadascada Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have started studying for HCISSP and will review the materils I used once complete.
  • Options
    scadascada Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    test date is set for Nov 6 2017 Time to hit the books !!!
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nope. Passed no problem with just the outline and about 6 hours of review. Keep in mind this is only the practitioner not the "professional" level exam the CISSP purports to be. Another tester beat me to being the first person to complete the exam by test so the exam may indeed be more difficult to pass now. Also, keep in mind there is a two year healthcare work requirement before taking the exam. Be sure you have the prerequisites before applying. Other than that if you've been working with ICD-10 (any), SNOMED, etc the exam is pretty easy.

Good luck.

b/eads
  • Options
    P.BZP.BZ Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi All,

I am studying for the HCISPP exam with the Nelson book and ISC Quizlet flash cards and tests. I'd love to see some actual practice questions, however, not just vocabulary. Does anyone have any info on any practice exams?

Also, I've read that the Training Seminar Student Guidebook is very helpful! Anyone willing to provide their copy? My current remote location doesn't provide for many ISC classes and my organization is not willing to pay for it either. Any help would be much appreciated as I'm typically not the best test-taker, so very nervous about not knowing what to expect!

Thanks!!