Options

Taking CEH on Thursday. Any last minute tips on the exam?

roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
As the title says, I'm taking my exam this week. I'm about 80% ready IMO. I've done a ton of studying and test prep. I even created a giant stack of flash cards with Flashcard Hero. But I think I read someone that I need to be able to convert Hex to Binary, Binary to Decimal, or Hex to Decimal. Can anyone confirm? This was not covered in the Matt Walker AIO guide. I know my decimal to binary, but a little vague on HEX.

I've found the PocketPrep app on Android to be a big help.

Anyway, hoping to add one my cert to my resume by Thursday. If I fail, that's another $500, ouch!
浪人 MSISA:WGU
ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP

Comments

• Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    $500 is a lot to lose, I wanted to take it this Friday but I don't have $500 lol. I heard you should know your protocols, port numbers, and tools. Good luck you got this!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    Thank you. I'm good on all that. Tools are meh...but working through the most popular. I'm solid on Nmap switches. I think i need some more work in cryptography and conversion points. Otherwise I do think I got this.
  • Options
    cs8400cs8400 Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dragonsden wrote: »
    As the title says, I'm taking my exam this week. I'm about 80% ready IMO. I've done a ton of studying and test prep. I even created a giant stack of flash cards with Flashcard Hero. But I think I read someone that I need to be able to convert Hex to Binary, Binary to Decimal, or Hex to Decimal. Can anyone confirm? This was not covered in the Matt Walker AIO guide. I know my decimal to binary, but a little vague on HEX.

I've found the PocketPrep app on Android to be a big help.

Anyway, hoping to add one my cert to my resume by Thursday. If I fail, that's another $500, ouch!

I took it a couple weeks ago and did not have one question about hex/dec/bin conversions.
  • Options
    OK good to know. how did the test measure up to what you took on prep tests? Similar or anything out of left field?
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nmap, nmap, nmap.

switches, use cases, tcp handshake, tcp flags.
  • Options
    luckily i feel pretty strong with nmap. bought a book soley on nmap, been playing with it, and made flashcards. do they test on "famous" hackers? my pocketprep has a bunch of these which I've failed. starting to remember who is who though.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    nmap, nmap, nmap.

switches, use cases, tcp handshake, tcp flags.

Basically this, and Hping and tcpdump. If you know those three tools inside and out, as well as how to read a pcap in Wireshark, then you will have a better shot at the exam.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Well, here it goes! Guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Taking the exam in an hour. Thanks for the tips. I did give these areas extra study.
  • Options
    Bring us back some good news!
  • Options
    CEH = Done! Passed with an 85%!. Feels good to have this out of the way, especially on a Friday. Now I can enjoy my weekend w/o the stress of studying for a bit!
  • Options
    Great score! Congrats! What's next for you?
  • Options
    Starting my MS:ISA at WGU on the 1st, as well as overlapping that with studies for CISSP. I'm filling an 8 year gap out of IT by working on cyber certs as fast as I can. Luckily doing internet marketing / web development has been a great knowledge filler and bridge into some elements of cyber security / ethical hacking.
  • Options
    Awesome, hey quick question did you just buy the $500 voucher, or did you also have to pay $100 for the application fee for self study? I self studied but don't want to pay the extra $100.
  • Options
    Now, I was able to get the voucher because I took EC-Council authorized training via work. The training was a joke...very very very dry (did I say very?). CBT Nuggets and Cybrary are much better for video based training. So I didn't have to pay the extra $100.
  • Options
    Oh okay thanks for the info, I took a course via my university, but they rejected it because it wasn't "official EC-Council" bastards.