Options

Sybex CISSP Challenge

Comments

• Options
    havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For those that do buy the Transcender Practice Test...if you configure a practice test for a single domain, and select all available questions, you can click the Advanced Print option and print to PDF. This way you will have all the questions in a flash card format. I did this and have them all in a binder that I can run through quickly.

FWIW
  • Options
    g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That is great. I wonder if there is a way to get these ported over to a phone which would be a lot easier for me to carry around daily.
  • Options
    !nf0s3cure!nf0s3cure Member Posts: 161 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I liked the Sybex book simply for the fact that it breaks up things in small chunks. Really makes it easy plus you get almost twice as many practice questions because of this. I have got lot of books but cannot really say that many helped apart from Sybex as it was the easiest to read.
  • Options
    dragonsden wrote: »
    I'm listening to Shon Harris audios daily on the commute to work. And also testing 1 domain at a time on PocketPrep until I score 90% or higher. So right now my pace is 1 domain per week of study.

Where did you find the Shon Harris Audios?
  • Options
    g33k3r wrote: »
    That is great. I wonder if there is a way to get these ported over to a phone which would be a lot easier for me to carry around daily.

If you print them to PDF, there are a lot of phone pdf readers.
  • Options
    lmoworldlmoworld Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hope everyone is progressing. I know I am. Test day is 28 Oct. Super pumped up about it. Pass or fail I know I'm giving 100%.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm back! Here is a quickie on VPNs. Enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhYeqgufYss
  • Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    After attempting to read the CBK and almost giving up on the CISSP altogether, I've found the Sybex book to be a life saver. I like that it's split up into many chapters. They are fairly short and not unreasonable to finish in one sitting. I get a nice feeling of accomplishment whenever I finish a chapter and it motivates me to keep going. Maybe the older books are better but they don't cover the new material. I've seen plenty of people on this forum rant and rave about how great the Eric Conrad / Shon Harris books are only to later post about how they failed the exam. That's the only endorsement I need to keep reading the Sybex book.

I plan to read the Sybex book front to cover then use the CBK as a reference for areas that I might want to check the source on.
  • Options
    @Raisin Awesome Right! Definitely easy to understand. I use the sybex test engine and flash cards. I rant a lot about not being able to find the offline content, but I'm okay with it.
  • Options
    Still at it. Hope everyone is seeing some success. Its crunch time for me. 15 days and a wake up. Rootkits Enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LvF0KtBWxY
  • Options
  • Options
    Has anyone found the Sybex offline study aids they mention in the front of the book?
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I guess I am getting on the bandwagon for this...although not sure if I will make 30 days. I just started a few days ago and intend on ramping up more.

I have a question for anybody far along with the book or that has tested after the book. Do you find the exam bullets at the end of the chapter to be the most beneficial notes to study? I noticed these yesterday and they remind me of the 11th hour books...aka no fluff know this.
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm just now getting back into my study groove as well. Thanks for all the wonderful information. I think I have a plan - I may need to cull down my study materials - but time will do that for me...

Been a few days since the last update on this post - how's the studying?
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • Options
    Sorry for the media silence. It's crunch time. 4 days and a wake up.
  • Options
  • Options
    Tomorrow is test day. Pass or Fail I definitely got the most out of this month. Thanks to everyone who participated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBH-bZbnL5Q
  • Options
    Good luck!
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

• Options
  • Options
    cfirstencfirsten Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lmoworld wrote: »
    Tomorrow is test day. Pass or Fail I definitely got the most out of this month. Thanks to everyone who participated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBH-bZbnL5Q

Good luck on your exam!!!! Why is a password a shared secret? It's at 1.50 m in the video. Hmmm... that's confusing. Not even the admins can know your password. They have to run it through john or something. Or maybe they(he) mean(s) that the client knows it and the server side has a hash of it. It's a mixture of hash and plain text; the server knows the hash but the client knows the plain text. Interesting... Anyway, let us know how you did.
  • Options
    664 not to shabby, but not enough to pass the exam. Sucks, but no doubt I believe the sybex book is definitely enough. Went through the exam and felt confident. Biggest mistake was going back and changing answers to 10 questions I flagged. I will never know if changing the answer caused me to fail or not.

What did I do after I failed?
    Drove an hour back to the house. Made a pit stop at Target and bought a new notebook. Came home and rescheduled the exam.

Cool thing about failing is now I have a road map of what to study. Am I angry? About 600 dollars angry (599 but who's counting). Perhaps that last video I shared is what caused me to fail. LOL.
  • Options
    wow! That's close...damn...

Sorry lmoworld... icon_sad.gif

What are you going to study now? Did they give you your weak areas??
  • Options
    Cool thing about failing is now I have a road map of what to study. Am I angry? About 600 dollars angry (599 but who's counting). Perhaps that last video I shared is what caused me to fail. LOL.

and that's a great way to look at it...at least you know where you stand and the structure of the test / questions.
  • Options
    cfirstencfirsten Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    664 not to shabby, but not enough to pass the exam. Sucks, but no doubt I believe the sybex book is definitely enough. Went through the exam and felt confident. Biggest mistake was going back and changing answers to 10 questions I flagged. I will never know if changing the answer caused me to fail or not.

It doesn't matter man; you took it and you have experience now and you know what they'll ask, how their questions are worded and so on. All you can lose on this exam is money, but you'll gain a lot of experience. From studying and from taking the exam. I'm not worried about it anymore, if I fail I will take it four times. After I've failed it four times I will go to one of those classes/seminars and I will try it again. I will pass it eventually because I've made a promise to my employer that I will, and it's a money maker too. Don't think about the money you've spent, think of the money you'll make when you'll have it :).
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that man - awesome perspective!

• Options
    Great attitude. I hope I have the same perspective!
  • Options
    saintboxer14saintboxer14 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently purchased the Sybex book, but Sybex is stating I must be an instructor to gain access to the extra study material. How were you able to gain access to the flashcards, etc?
  • Options
    I recently purchased the Sybex book, but Sybex is stating I must be an instructor to gain access to the extra study material. How were you able to gain access to the flashcards, etc?

Site is listed below. No offline content though.
    https://sybextestbanks.wiley.com/public/
  • Options
    ASIF.CEHASIF.CEH Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dear Sir,

I am planing to Register for CISSP This Month. Will you please share the Sybex 7th Edition Book, Please?

Regards
    Asif