Laptop for VM LAB

shihan.pieterszshihan.pietersz Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I am in need of a laptop for running various different VM labs, Some for training and some to replicate production systems at customer sites. I do have powerful desktop computer but I need a laptop as I need to be able to fire up vms on the fly I have seen a previous thread on this site about the above topic. however thought if anyone would know of any recommended models. so far I have looked at the Lenovo w541, But the maximum memory support on that is 32GB DDR 1600 MHZ . after doing some more research I found that MSI GT72 6QD-021 comes with DDR4 memory support and supports up to 64 GB of memory with the new i7 Skylake 6820HK CPU. however this is built around more gaming laptop. it still comes in about 1000$ AUD cheaper that the Lenovo W541. would appreciate if anyone has any input. Cheers !

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't have any suggestions but - wow - the MSI GT72 6QD-021 looks like a pretty beefy laptop. But at over 8 lbs, my back is hurting just thinking about it.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It used to be vmware was really picky on network cards and it mainly supported intel and a few uncommon brands. I don't know if it's still the same way as I've only used it on servers with intel nics lately but something to consider if it is.

Agree that MSI laptop looks like a beast.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Network cards are only a problem when using type 1 hypervisors (ESXi) but when using a laptop then you likely have Windows or Linux running and use VMware Workstation for example.

The hardware is irrelevant from VMware Workstation perspective. As long as your OS can see the hardware. That is asll you need.

And wow, didn't even know there are laptops supporting 32GB, let alone 64GB of RAM
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    How many VMs do you need exactly? That all seems like overkill...why not get a MacBook and call it a day.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh and the reason a 64GB laptop is bulky is because these use PC chipsets. They get extremely hot and battery life is probably minutes. Get yourself a decent 32GB machine and wait until bigger mobile chipsets are out.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • GSXRulesGSXRules Member Posts: 109
    I run Test Track on a laptop with two ESXi hosts, vCenter (on Windows) and a vm with AD/DHCP/DNS/NFS/iSCSI on a 32 GB laptop under Workstation 12. it sits at 21.6GB of RAM in use.

I use laptops because I take TT to conferences where Internet access isn't guaranteed. Without that requirement I would buy a beefy desktop/cheap server and set up remote access into it and carry an iPad around to demo from.